Apple and the JY-HD10U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 6th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Apple and the JY-HD10U?

Okay, I'm repeating myself, sorry, but what about the Apple/Final Cut Pro and the JY-HD10U? I think JVC may not make it compatible, but is that possible? Do we have to wait until it comes out?

heath
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 06:23 AM   #2
Major Player

The silence is deafening. I'm not sure why we haven't heard a word from NAB nor from Apple. I see that FCP 4 is being released but apparently they still haven't addressed the MPEG-2 TS issue. According to Bruce Johnson, Adobe Premiere has but apparently they are the only ones besides JVC's proprietary software that works with this format.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:03 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Apple and the JY-HD10U

So Premiere supports the HD10U? Does that include the Apple version? My friend and I saw nothing about that, so we'll double check. I'll talk to some of my friends at Apple next week (when they return from NAB).

Hmmm,

heath
Old April 10th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

An answer...

From JVC at the 2-pop site:

"It will be a following version of FCP that edits the MPEG-2 TS. We don't know any date, of course, but basically all NLE makers will be editing MPEG-2 TS data." - Ken Freed JVC
Old April 10th, 2003, 07:25 PM   #5
Warden

It's not Apple's style to have JVC (or any other company) act as their mouth piece. It's fair to say that at some point Apple will support MPEG-2 TS. Maybe FCP 5 or 6, or even an early update to FCP 4. But I suspect Apple is miffed by JVC not supporting their platform and aren't in any hurry to support JVC's new camera.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 12:29 AM   #6
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : But I suspect Apple is miffed by JVC not supporting their platform and aren't in any hurry to support JVC's new camera. -->>>

In fact JVC and Apple have worked very closely on MPEG-4 support for their Streamcorder. Apple had a JVC mini-booth in their booth.

And an Apple exec. attended the JVC VIP lunch.
Old April 11th, 2003, 01:16 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

A little reveal for you all

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Mullen : <<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : But I suspect Apple is miffed by JVC not supporting their platform and aren't in any hurry to support JVC's new camera. -->>>

In fact JVC and Apple have worked very closely on MPEG-4 support for their Streamcorder. Apple had a JVC mini-booth in their booth.

And an Apple exec. attended the JVC VIP lunch. -->>>

I am friends with some high-level Apple peeps and in fact, I spoke directly with the lead designer of FCP a month ago. Apple and the TV station I work for have a great relationship as we're using Omneon systems with our G4s/FCPs. So, these are the people I'm going to talk to about MPEG-2 and MPREG-2 TS, and might be able to get some information. We'll see, of course; Apple is quieter than George Lucas!

But from what I've read by Steve Mullen and others from their first-look in Japan and what I read at 2-pop.com for the NAB first-looks, combined with the 35 lux (!!!) dealie, I may hold off on buying. Plus, the HD-30000HU is NOWHERE to be found in Palm Beach County and Fort Lauderdale!

So...what about this Sony HD DVD blue laser mini-hd and also a 3 ccd camera? Any news on that? Is it really hitting Japan next month?

heath
Old April 11th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #8
Warden

Premiere will only support it on the windows version, no support for Mac. I would not take support for granted, just because they support the Streamcorder. Two different products. I'll believe it when I see it. I think for most Mac users, these two JVC cameras are dead in the water.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Premiere will only support it on the windows version, no support for Mac. I would not take support for granted, just because they support the Streamcorder. Two different products. I'll believe it when I see it. I think for most Mac users, these two JVC cameras are dead in the water. -->>>

I agree with you; right now, it's not so great for us, the G4 lovers and users. And from what I've heard about the cameras themselves, we still have a ways to go. But it's definately a step in the right direction.

What about the Sony alleged mini-HD Blue Laser cameras? Are they really coming out later this year?

Also, where's Palm harbor, Florida? I live in southern Palm Beach County.

heath
Old April 11th, 2003, 08:06 PM   #10
Warden

Palm Harbor is above Clearwater. From what I've read the Sony cameras should ship this year, possibly as early as late summer.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite