DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Why? Uncompressed or HDV / DVCProHD

I know that uncompressed and HDV / DVCProHD has been discussed. But, as I have searched through the threads extensively, I haven't found an answer.

Why would one want to go uncomressed vs. HDV / DVCProHD / Firewire types of compression?

The reason I ask is that I am considering an HD card of some sort. Mainly so that I can monitor HD out of my system. I do not have a raid. I am interesed in Shane's raid on a budget idea. I think it was Shane. But why do I need to go to this?

What are the advantages? I understand that you eat up more HDD space, I also understand that it takes more power to play back, etc. etc. But in the final product, DVD, Web Delivery, etc, do you gain quality by going uncompressed.

Or is this just a cool way to get extra money from a client? Which I can understand as well.

I guess this question would go for SD as well.

thanks so much in advance. This board has been uber helpful in the expansion of my knowledge and the shrinking of my checkbook :)

Tim
Tim Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2
Major Player

If you have a camera that can SHOOT uncompressed (like a CineAlta F950) the images do start out with higher quality and are especially useful if you're doing visual effects like greenscreen compositing.

If the camera itself is only generating 4:2:2 output to begin with, then capturing uncompressed doesn't really improve that signal.
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, it was me who has the inexpensive RAID ideas:

http://lfhd.blogspot.com/2006/12/dar...sata-raid.html

And I just added a new component:

http://lfhd.blogspot.com/2007/01/mod...iet-tower.html

The only reason to go UNCOMPRESSED HD is if you shoot with it, like the HDCAM SR or Cine Alta. But only for ONLINING. Offlining I'd suggest the DVCPRO HD codec. And I will ALWAYS recommend DVCPRO HD codec and camera above the HDV stuff. Far superior...in every way.

Now..why raid? Well, for HDV or DVCPRO HD you don't really need it. But the faster drives you have, the more RT effects and more streams of video you can do. With a FW400 drive you can do only 1 stream of DVCPRO HD. With a 5 drive raid that runs 230MB/s...you can get 6 or so streams.

Depends on what you are doing.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Far superior...in every way.

Does that include raw data rate? ;-)
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #5
Major Player

You mean direct from camera into the editing app via a capture card? I don't have first hand experience. But ADAM WILT did tests. I believe that the CCDs are better on the HVX than most, but that the Canon HDV camera performed the best.

It is the recording format that is the achilles heel...Mr. MAN OF TOMORROW
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #6
Major Player

only yesterday's man of tomorrow, but that will do!
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

So I guess what I am reading here is that I will not see a significant increase in quality, if at all.

So my $1000 to $2000 dollars will be better spent elsewhere.

I hope I understood that.

thanks for the help, once again great advice and this time I get to save some money.

Tim
Tim Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

sorry to hijack, but i am in a similar boat. My next project will have a lot of green screening. I figured shooting HD is the best way to go for keying and such. What would you suggest for editing purposes. Can I edit lower quality offline and key effectively? Or should I be editing HD to key, then must it all be online editing?

BTW planned on using Shake to key and composite

Thanks
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Major Player

YOu can edit at a lower quality if you have storage issues. Just know that your key at lower res will be temporary and when you capture the footage at full res you'll need to do the keying properly.

Or, if you know the parts you are going to key, capture those elements at high res, perform the key, then export a master clip, then downconvert that clip for the offline cut, and relink to the full res version when you online.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:41 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Ross

Shane
Thanks for this little tip. I've just ordered one. I'm sick of slicing my fingers on the PC case when moving the cables!!

Some one would make a load of money if they marketed the PC case external SATA store...

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Great Drew.

Yeah, that was a good find.
Old January 24th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Ross
And I will ALWAYS recommend DVCPRO HD codec and camera above the HDV stuff. Far superior...in every way.
Technically that's not an accurate statement, since DVCProHD is more compressed horizontally than HDV is. Plus not all cameras are created equal, so you're not going to get as sharp an image from an HVX200 with 960x540 sensors as you would from Canon HDV cameras with 1440x1080 sensors. That said, it seems to be generally agreed that DVCProHD is preferable for some purposes, and HDV has some practical limitations.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Miller
BTW planned on using Shake to key and composite

Just FYI - i don't think shake supports HDV so you have to transcode to DVCPRO HD or the Apple Intermediate Codec or something else before shake can look at it.
Pete Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schwab
Just FYI - i don't think shake supports HDV so you have to transcode to DVCPRO HD or the Apple Intermediate Codec or something else before shake can look at it.
Thanks Pete.. I will double check that before shooting :P
Alden Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite