1080p24 ... downconvert question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM   #1
New Boot

1080p24 ... downconvert question

hey guys ive searched but haven't found the answer to this question. Im shooting on my A1 at 1080 24F, is there any way to capture from hd to sd? i didn't choose downconvert in camera when i was shooting so im wondering if im married to the hd?

ive read about downconverting with the compressor function and making the dvd through dvd studio and that seems like a feasible choice, but if someone could help clarify this for me that would be great.
Rick Sharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Trustee

As much as I'd like to I have not had the pleasure of capturing footage from an A1. If the A1 is like all other HDV cameras you can downconvert in the camera on capture.

Which depending on how much footage you have it might be better to recapture, HDV cameras generally do a good job with real-time downconvert.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sharf
ive read about downconverting with the compressor function and making the dvd through dvd studio and that seems like a feasible choice, but if someone could help clarify this for me that would be great.

If you end result is a DVD, then the downconversion from 1080p24 is really easy. There's lots of reasons to edit in HDV, namely better downconversion quality, and rentention of an HD edit for later.

Make sure the timeline is active, select Export via Compressor from the File menu, and then select any of the MPEG-2 DVD presets. I suggest "Best Quality 90 Minutes"

This will make an anamorphic MPEG2 that DVDSP will recognize correctly as such, and then make the track you bring that m2v into anamorphic as well. DVD player will then squeeze vertically and add black bars to top and bottom of frame.

If you need your letterbox to be rendered into a 4:3 m2v, then you have to add a filter to the Compressor preset you use.

But the above will get you to a DVD, and it's easy as pie.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM   #4
New Boot

Nate that was the way i was planning on doing it actually planning on doing it.

i was planning on just capturing all hd and importing it as such, the only problem is i'm starting to realize how much space hd takes up! lots of b-roll for my doc might make it a problem. but the picture will be worth it i think. I have a 300 gig seagate external hard drive, so im not too worried about space.
Rick Sharf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite