XH A1 Capture Problem with FCP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #16
Regular Crew

For everyone having the capture problems with FCP and the XHA1, was there ever a resolution?

I have two A1's and an HV20 and have tried capturing using multiple combinations of the cameras, my Powerbook and G5 (both running FCP6) and 500GB USB drive and my TB FW800 drive There are no timecode breaks on the raw tape, I basically hit record and let it go and I end up with anywhere from 2-5 video files from the one capture. This is frustrating!!
Dave Pecunies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #17
Trustee

I'm going to nail the problem soon. My contact at canon dealer is going to work with me on these issues.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

A1 capture problem in FCP 2

Hi, today I have installed FCP 2 on Macbook Pro and like to report that I cannot also capture from XH A1 the recordings. I find that quite amazing!

Hope this issue will be resolved soon.

Regards,
Pavel
Pavel Tomanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I have basically been doing just that, pressing play on the camera then hitting capture now. I got it to work some of the time without breaks by unplugging every FW device and capturing to an internal drive. I then transfer to a FW800 drive for editing. PITA but it was working fine...was. I just captured two tapes and there were one or two breaks in 60 minutes of footage. Not as bad as it was but it still shouldn't be happening.
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I would also like to mention that the break is happening both when capturing with the XHA1 and the HV20.
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #21
Trustee

I'm noticing occasional breaks both on G1 and HV20, too.

Also want to confirm that HDV/DV auto selection seems to influence the behavior on capturing/Mastering with FCP.
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #22
Major Player

XHA1, macbook and firewire

I have an XHA1 fresh from Canon for a loose shoe problem. Now I find my Intel Macbook won't recognize the camera at all, under system profiler. The Apple fixes don't work.

The same camera used to work with I-movie, but now doesn't work with any mac video application.

It does work on my pc after I downloaded the demo version of Sony Vegas 8.

I have to send the MacBook to apple because the plastic around the keyboard cracked. Hopefully they can fix the firewire problem.

Whatever the reason, I can't get the Macbook to see the camera.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #23
Trustee

One thing to make sure, switch the camera to playback HDV, not auto.
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #24
Regular Crew

i have the same issues with fce i have been importing to i movie then importing to fce kinda pain

Eddie
Eddie Pelfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:38 AM   #25
Regular Crew

iMovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey View Post
i have the same issues with fce i have been importing to i movie then importing to fce kinda pain

Eddie
Do you get any quality downgrade by capturing through iMovie? I thought I read that it was a different format being captured i.e. lower resolution due to compression.
Steve Kachocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:31 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kachocki View Post
Do you get any quality downgrade by capturing through iMovie? I thought I read that it was a different format being captured i.e. lower resolution due to compression.
i have not got that far into it but will check to see i think imovie captures full hd??????????

Eddie
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi, in my previous post I have mentioned FCP 2, sorry I meant Final Cut Studio 2 - which contains Final Cut Pro 6. Solution that worked for me - after setting exactly same parameters at the start up as you have shot your footage, restart FCP 6, it should capture fine then.

I remember reading that XH A1 is compatible only with FCP 5.1.4 and above. Earlier version wont recognise the camera. Not sure about iMovie or FCE.

Hope this help.

Pavel
Pavel Tomanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #28
Regular Crew

i can capture in i movie no problem i can capture in fce but have no camera controls when i go to capture in the menu it starts capturing can only stop it by pressing escape key in hd when not hd i hit capture in the menu and it brings up the camera controls to capture

Eddie
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #29
Regular Crew

OK, I have tried just about everything here to capture without breaks. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time it does. I have tried multiple combinations of computers and cameras(A1 and HV20). Anyone have a solution???
Dave Pecunies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite