DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro 5 - HDV workflow?

Hello everyone, I'm not very smart. Is there a thread somewhere or does somebody know of a link for HDV workflow using FCP5 for dummies like me?

In other words, is there a workaround that allows you to edit in real time without rendering every single time you cut?

Also, when I go to log and capture, I only have one option and that's to name my clip. I can't preview or anything, but I'm assuming I'll need a beefy video card or something in order to have that luxury.

So, just looking for a few pointers, hoping there are others out there like me.
Benji Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Please feel free to move this to the proper forum. Sorry, I didn't see the Mac / FCP subforum.
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Make sure your sequence is in the right format- if its a HDV sequence, then you wont need to render every clip, and can edit hdv natively.

Before i start a project, i usually use 'easy setup' to make sure everything is set up for the format im working in.

if youve already started a project, goto sequence, setting, and make sure its all set up for your type of hdv.

What mac have you got? Editing HDV on the fly does use more beef, but i manage to get by using a bottom of the range mac mini (although it struggles at times). Usually i transcode to apple intermediate format- more hd space, but uses less CPU beef.

Hope that helps
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford
Make sure your sequence is in the right format- if its a HDV sequence, then you wont need to render every clip, and can edit hdv natively.

Before i start a project, i usually use 'easy setup' to make sure everything is set up for the format im working in.

if youve already started a project, goto sequence, setting, and make sure its all set up for your type of hdv.

What mac have you got? Editing HDV on the fly does use more beef, but i manage to get by using a bottom of the range mac mini (although it struggles at times). Usually i transcode to apple intermediate format- more hd space, but uses less CPU beef.

Hope that helps
that's very helpful, but it still requires me to edit anything I take from my bin and place in the timeline...is that normal? This footage was taken from an Canon HV-10 so I assume it's only capable of 1080i 60. That's what I've set the sequence for and it still requires me to render everything. Maybe I am as clueless as I thought!
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I think I figured it out. Last time, I had used Apple's Intermediate codec (I think) and sent it into a DV timeline. That's how clueless I am.

So I have to recapture everything native HDV and then send it to my HDV timeline to edit native.

Do I understand all this correctly? Using the Intermediate codec will save, what, hard drive space and processor? But you'll then have to render everything before putting it in a timeline?
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nevermind, just read Apple's synopsis of its intermediate codec. It basically stretches everything out on your hard drive but saves the processor from working too hard.

By the way, I'm on a duocore G5 2.0ghz with 1.0 gigs of RAM.
Benji Wade is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite