DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Dark clip

I have several clips that were captured with Sony Z1U and in poor light. Using FCP 5. I have worked with color correction and adding 2 pixel gaussian blur to the blue channel and nothing seems to be working to get it to a respectable level. Any suggestions on how to lighten these clips?
Thanks,
John
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Try the color corrector 3-way and adjust the MIDS up. The BLACKS too if you need.

Clips that are REALLY dark are hard to dig info from.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Shane. I did find something that seems to work. I copied the clip and moved them up to V2 directly above the dark clip. I right clicked on the copied clip and went to composite mode and selected overlay (screen works too). This seemed to improve the darkness of the clip quite a bit.
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Ross
Try the color corrector 3-way and adjust the MIDS up. The BLACKS too if you need.

Clips that are REALLY dark are hard to dig info from.
Exactly what I was going to suggest.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Major Player

I have similar issue, so instead of starting a new thread - thought i'd use this one.

I used the color correction filter to fix the look of the clip - in the preview monitor it looks great. However, when i compress it for the web (using compressor) it came out looking very washed out. This is all viewed on the same monitor.

Is there a way to adjust the preview monitor settings, or will I just need to fudge with the color correction and re-compress until it is correct?
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite