DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Kona LH and installation to G5 dual? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/85575-kona-lh-installation-g5-dual.html)

Ronald Wilk February 3rd, 2007 10:16 AM

Kona LH and installation to G5 dual?

Hi:
It's Saturday and my new Kona LH just arrived via FedEx, however, since it is Saturday, AJA is not available for questions.
So, does anyone have any experience with the installation of a Kona LH to a Mac G5 dual 2.7 Ghz?
The Kona manual indicates the necessity of removing "any other" video cards but by this are they referring to other capture cards or must I remove the ATI Radeon AGP card that came with the G5?

Thank you in advance,
Ron

Gary Barr February 6th, 2007 03:51 AM

Hi Ronald,

I've just got an LH for my dual G5. Don't remove your graphics card. Kona recommend sticking their card in slot 3 (you prob can't get anything in slot 2 as the graphics card is too big). They mean don't use it with another capture card like another kona or Black Magic etc. I've also got a FW card in slot 4. download the most up to date software from AJA.com, version 3.3 is the latest for OSX 10.4. I had a lot of problems after my installation with startup issues so I hope you don't have them! all is well now though, I think!

good luck.

Ronald Wilk February 6th, 2007 08:55 AM

Kona LH

Hi Gary:

Thank you for your reply. I have already installed the LH while leaving the Ati Radeon in place. I have noticed some issues with startup as well. By this I mean, slow boot, screen re-draw, etc. In addition, FCP 5.1.2 is taking longer to boot. Did you arrive at a solution to the problem?

Ron

Gary Barr February 6th, 2007 09:17 AM

I don't think you've got a problem with startup from what you say but maybe an expert on here knows better. I meant major problems, kernel panics, freezing up etc. Let me know if any of that happens. Have you used the card much yet? what is your main use going to be?
thanks, Gary.

Shane Ross February 6th, 2007 09:33 AM

I haven't noticed any startup issues. But then again, I turn the computer on and leave the room...or leave the machine on. It shouldn't slow down the boot process. How much slower is it?

Ronald Wilk February 6th, 2007 10:21 AM

Kona LH and startup

Error---duplicate post content has been deleted.

Ronald Wilk February 6th, 2007 10:21 AM

Kona LH and startup

I haven't actually timed the startup difference but I would guess that it takes at least an extra 10 seconds and once up, there is a quick desktop re-draw. In addition, I have noticed that FCP is taking longer to load then it did prior to the card's installation but this is without a camera or deck attached.

In response to a prior post, my primary purpose for the card, at the present time, is HD SDI capture from a JVC GY-HD250U.

Ron

Shane Ross February 6th, 2007 12:28 PM

Yes, slower as it has drivers to load. And FCP loads slower as it has all the AJA codecs to load as well.

Gary Barr February 7th, 2007 02:44 PM

yeah mine is the same Ronald but I've had no problems editing DV in FCP yet.

I haven't used the card yet either as I'm waiting to shoot some HDV soon and then edit DVCPRO HD via the Kona.

A bit off-topic but do you know the best and not too costly way to get the audio into FCP from a Canon HV-10 (using it as a deck for A1s at 25F)? Kona say a mixer would be best but do I really need one? The HV-10 has component out (D connector I think) so the audio would be unbalanced RCA as far as I can make out. As the deck/camera is being controlled via FW anyway, isn't it possible to bring the audio in via FW or would it not be digital that way? Sorry audio's not my thing if it wasn't obvious!
Any help with this greatly appreciated.

Ronald Wilk February 8th, 2007 09:40 AM

Audio

Hi Gary:

I haven't spent much time with the Kona either but as for the unbalanced audio, the Kona LH breakout box has unbalanced (RCA) inputs that might solve your problem for a very small investment, the cost of the box, that is.

Since installing the Kona on the G5, I have noticed that with each bootup the desktop appears, then blanks out and reappears and remains stable after that. Have you noticed anything similar?

Ron

Gary Barr February 8th, 2007 12:42 PM

Ronald,

Yes, I get the exact same thing since installing the card - screen gets to the blue screen then goes blank for a split second then loads up as normal. Everything seems ok with editing DV so far so I'll let you know when I try the card out. Must have a look at the b'out box now!

thanks.

Gary Barr February 9th, 2007 08:41 AM

Hi Ronald,

I don't think I need the breakout box and couldn't I just use a couple of RCA-XLR adapters to get the same outcome? AJA say that this will mean my audio will go in 18dB lower than the recorded level, is that right? If so, what's a good way to get my audio ingested?

thanks.

Ronald Wilk February 9th, 2007 10:25 AM

Audio

Hi Gary:

If you use an RCA to XLR conversion you will be going from unbalanced -10db (RCA) to Balanced +4db (XLR). Aside from the decibel loss that will inevitably occur in the process, there may be a noise issue. I have occassionally made the mistake, in our recording studio, of mixing line (-10db) with professional +4db devices and have inadvertantly introduced a nasty noise level often taking on the characteristics of a hum or hiss.
On the other hand, if Kona feels that the only issue will be a drop in volume,it might be worth a try. In addition, you can buy a small matching transformer at any music supply store (i.e. SamAsh, Musician's Friend, etc.) that will convert consumer level devices (-10db or RCA) to +4db and that should make the whole issue rather moot!

Hope this helps,
Ron

Gary Barr February 9th, 2007 01:00 PM

thanks Ronald for your help. can you give me an example of what you're talking about so I can source a similar product here in the UK?

Gary Barr February 9th, 2007 01:39 PM

would this do the job?

http://www.boomerangsounds.co.uk/product.php?xProd=274