DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Hd201 and Final Cut pro Capture probs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/85909-hd201-final-cut-pro-capture-probs.html)

Phil Bloom February 7th, 2007 01:16 PM

Hd201 and Final Cut pro Capture probs

Just got the camera. Very nice. At the moment though I cannot capture anything into Final Cut Pro (it's the late 5.1.2 or whatever the latest is)

I know 720p50 isnt accepted yet but I have shot some stuff 720p25 and nothing is coming in, i can control the deck but no picture or sound is coming through. If I click capture now it says no data is being transmitted.

any ideas?

Marc Jayson February 7th, 2007 01:34 PM

Maybe the the Firewire HDV/DV Switch on the side of the cam?

Phil Bloom February 7th, 2007 02:00 PM

its set to hdv. This is very frustrating!

what settings are people using...and when do we think FCP will be updated to accept 720p50?

Tyson Perkins February 7th, 2007 02:19 PM

i had the same problem - but i bought a different firewire cable the next day and it worked?

Phil Bloom February 7th, 2007 02:35 PM

tried that too...

Phil Bloom February 7th, 2007 03:45 PM

found the problem...my firewire dv line protector was causing problems.

so to avoid any firewire blowing issues used a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire lead with a 4 pin to 6 pin adaptor...too many issues in the past with firewire

makes me paranoid!

Heather Cook February 7th, 2007 04:55 PM

Do we have a timeline as to when 720 x 50p will be a usable format, no native support anywhere not even with the DR-HD100 recorder. Perhaps we should have held off on purchasing these cameras until the format was readily available.

My 2 cents, Heather

Justin Ferar February 7th, 2007 05:11 PM

People in PAL land,

I just checked the Black Magic sight and found that Decklink supports 720p50. I realize that some may not want to spend the extra $1K US but for those who maybe didn't know- you could be up and running in no time. Ofcourse you need a PCI-e mac or PC.

Just thought I'd put it out there.

Phil Bloom February 7th, 2007 05:37 PM

i have a kona lhe card that supports 720p50...but are there any fcp timeline settings that do?

Justin Ferar February 7th, 2007 07:55 PM

Phil,

DVC Pro HD 720p50 would be the best option, which is an available preset in FCP. Not sure about other NLE's. You'd be best served by a RAID array working with DVC Pro HD.

If you don't have the JVC HDV deck then you can still digitize with component cables and just use the firewire for TC/machine control.

If I had a Kona LH I certainly wouldn't be futzing with HDV at all- just digitize as DVC Pro HD at 720p50.

Best.

Heather Cook February 7th, 2007 11:10 PM

Hi all, while you can capture via sdi I have been told on this forum that the quality is slightly downgraded when doing so, as opposed to capturing native HDV.

Regards, Heather

Jemore Santos February 7th, 2007 11:30 PM

Hey heather and other people in Australia,

Where did you get your HD201's? I thought we hadn't got them in yet?

Tyson Perkins February 7th, 2007 11:40 PM

Abit before Christmas i recieved mine.

Justin Ferar February 8th, 2007 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather Cook
Hi all, while you can capture via sdi I have been told on this forum that the quality is slightly downgraded when doing so, as opposed to capturing native HDV.

While there is a conversion to "baseband SDI" the conversion IMO would be absolutely imperceptible, though I have not done any tests. I don't think one would even be able to detect component analog either because the Kona & Decklink cards are so good at D/A conversion.

I plan on doing many tests as soon as our DT-V20L1U HD monitor arrives. Until then I can't really make any conclusions.

David Knaggs February 8th, 2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather Cook

Hi Heather.

Could you please provide the link where it states that SDI downgrades quality (making it even less preferable to the aggressive MPEG-2 compression used in HDV)?

My understanding of SDI is that it's used in high-end post production because it is fully digital and has no video compression, so it doesn't suffer from any image degradation.

I would have thought that the benefit of the HD-SDI output from the HD250/251 was the main reason for the higher price over the HD200/201.

So I'm very interested to see where you read that, because it sounds like it could be false data. Unless I'm missing some information.