DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP: One Project versus Multiple Projects? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/86214-fcp-one-project-versus-multiple-projects.html)

Chris Rentzel February 11th, 2007 10:40 AM

FCP: One Project versus Multiple Projects?

Hi,

Is it better to cut my 90-minute feature-length film using one FCP project, or should I break it in increments using multiple projects, then piece them together in one final project? My footage is HDV 720p at 24fps. Thanks!

Federico Lang February 11th, 2007 10:51 AM

Hi Chris, the answer really depends on the power of your machine.

You area talking about a feature film, so lets say its 90-120 mins. You have different choices:

1-Do it in a single proyect, but inside that proyect divide the feature into sequences. That means the computer will take longer to open the proyect, but you could have all of your material in one place.

2-Do a proyect for every sequence. This way you save some processing capabilities, but if you need something from other proyect, you would have to open it up.

I really would go with the second no matter why. This because FCP can open different proyects at the same time, so If you need something, just open the proyect you need, not the whole package.

Good luck

Kevin Wild February 11th, 2007 12:58 PM

Definitely keep it all in one project. Like Federico's first suggestion, just do different segments as different sequences, if you need to. This will ensure that all of your media, render files, etc. is together and easy to move, backup, delete, etc.

Chris Rentzel February 11th, 2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Definitely keep it all in one project. Like Federico's first suggestion, just do different segments as different sequences, if you need to. This will ensure that all of your media, render files, etc. is together and easy to move, backup, delete, etc.

Thanks to you both.

Kevin: is it easy then to place the sequences in order, etc. so the whole film will play start to finish?

Kevin Wild February 11th, 2007 02:29 PM

Simple. Either drag and drop the sequences into a new Master sequence or just copy and paste the individual segments into a new sequence.

Very easy.

Kevin

William Hohauser February 11th, 2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Rentzel
Hi,

Is it better to cut my 90-minute feature-length film using one FCP project, or should I break it in increments using multiple projects, then piece them together in one final project? My footage is HDV 720p at 24fps. Thanks!

Depends on the type of film you are creating. A documentary or a scripted film. If you film is a linear story, multiple projects will work as you will be unlikely to need footage from one section in another. A documentary might need to have footage available for the entire project.

Either way do as has been suggested, break the project up into chapters or reels. It will be much easier to deal with 10 to 15 minutes segements than one big 90 minute timeline.