DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 13th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #16
Major Player

I shoot 720P30 and edit in 720P30.
When all is said and done, I export all of my timelines ( I do weddings so I have a ceremony timeline, reception, Highlights, interviews, etc) into compressor from FCP.
Once I have all5 timelines in Compressor I use the 2 pass 150 minute for the reception, and 90 minute for the rest. I then adjust my VBR to either fit 3 hour items onto a single layer dvd, or adjust up to make the smaller items look better. I have no problems with how they come out. It also only takes roughly 3 hours to export the total of 6 hours of footage for DVD.

I then burn 2 seperate dvds for the clients and I am done. Never had any issues.

Now, If I want to continue to edit while compressing, I export a QT movie 10 bit uncompressed and uncheck the option for make movie sef contained. It just uses the render files for uncontained qt files. Then I can work in FCP while exporting in Comp.

I always make adjustments in C2 for bit rate. If I am only doing a ceremony, and nothing else, I will crank up the VBR to the max for a SD DVD, otherwise HD DVD kicks in at a certain VBR.

Compressor is an amazing tool, one of my favorites. I can do so much with it that other editing programs did not give me.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Compressor Video Preview bad?

As a follow-up to my posts
The poor image, stair stepping, jagged edges on detail is not solved as of 5 AM this morning. I spent 2 hours with Apple Tech support last night, one hour with a friend, and an E-mail from the infamous Apple Tech Guru Larry Jordan. Larry feels that the problem of going from HDV to SD in Compressor requires first Scaling the video to SD and then compressing it. I will try that this afternoon. All other attempts have failed. Apple had me remove and delete all related files etc in FCP (which does not exhibit the "jagged edge" syndrome) and do the same thing with Compressor and reinstall Compressor. Did not change a thing. Again trying to fix this has been 6-8 hours per day of real effort...and I am being patient. Someone else must have had this occur as well. I am still looking for a solution. I will keep you all posted even though I am the only one it seems that is having this issue with Compressor.
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #18
Regular Crew

FCP/Compressor Help! Someone must know about this?

Please read my posts regarding this issue. I would really appreciate it if some "pro users" of FCP Compressor would take a moment to read and respond. I se lots of readers of the posts but only a few responses. I have recieved some good ideas but non of them are the right answers. Rather than retyping the entire thing just read the thread. Someone must have encountered this sort of problem. I read the Bonzai step by step. Makes no difference. A glitch in Compressor? I have reinstalled etc.
Thanks
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #19
Regular Crew

FCP/Motion Quality Solved

FCP/Compressor Help...I solved the "jagged edge" problems just by shooting 24P on the Canon A-1 in HDV. No one was ever able to come up with a solution for the jagged edges when shooting 1080/60i HDV so I just shoot at 24P and have not looked back. Hope this helps those who are able to shoot this way.
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi John.

I emailed you some days ago through dvinfo. Don't know if you received it. I had the EXACT same problem as yours. I'm still trying to find a solution since I don't have a way to shoot 1080 24p. Did you (or anybody) test encoding for DVD with another software, like BitVice, for example?

And if I make a .mov and do the downconversion and DVD encode on a PC? It works?
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Huling View Post
FCP/Compressor Help...I solved the "jagged edge" problems just by shooting 24P on the Canon A-1 in HDV. No one was ever able to come up with a solution for the jagged edges when shooting 1080/60i HDV so I just shoot at 24P and have not looked back. Hope this helps those who are able to shoot this way.
I just got off the phone with a fellow editor who said he prefers shooting in 24p because that means less compression when making DVD's. He said there's a noticable difference between 24p and 30p.

BTW, I'm seeing the "jagged edge" John described earlier, and I'm shooting 1080p30.
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #22
Regular Crew

my HUMBLE question is: how this workflow (which is the most obvious today) can simply NOT work with macs?
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
BTW, I'm seeing the "jagged edge" John described earlier, and I'm shooting 1080p30.
Dean, what is the actual sensor size (in terms of horizontal lines of pixels) of the camera you are using? Does it really have a genuine 1080 horizontal lines of pixels? Or is it a smaller sensor using "pixel shifting" or "spacial offset technology" to bring it up to 1080p?

Because, if it's the latter, it means that the image might have been subjected to quite a bit of manipulation or stretching before you even loaded it up into FCP and perhaps it starts to fall apart a bit (jagged edge) by the time it's finally put through Compressor 2.3.

But the good news is that Compressor 3 is released next month with features such as "pristine format and standards conversions" (the dictionary defines the word "pristine" as "in its original condition; unspoiled") as well as "gorgeous SD to HD up-conversions" and it can also "convert between progressive and interlaced video".

There's more info from this link:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/compressor/

I already know that Compressor 2.3 gives great results with HDV1 (720p) footage, but have noticed from various posts by HDV2 users (1080i) that they've had problems with Compressor 2.3 and have often had to purchase additional software such as BitVice to obtain the results they were after.

So I'll be very interested in any reports by 1080i shooters on whether Compressor 3 fixes those problems for them.

And, finally, I'm glad to see that John has solved his earlier conversion problems. Well done!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #24
Major Player

Check your QT export settings, make sure they are exporting with "same settings" without recompressing your timeline. Also, uncheck "make movie self contained" so the QT movie uses the original video files.

Try capturing using AIC next time, then export. AIC eliminates the GOP problem and works great with progressive footage.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #25
Major Player

I've found the only way to take an HDV sequence and make a decent SD DVD is to place that HDV sequence in an SD sequence, making sure in the SD sequence the "sequence"/settings/field dominence is set to "NONE". Then export either to compressor or make a QT movie out of it.

The issue seems to be a problem in the field order going from HD to SD. (Upper field first to lower field first). Not sure why this trips up compressor but it does.

YMMV depending on what versions of these programs you are using.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite