Compressing for You Tube at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Compressing for You Tube

I've got a project that I'm trying to post on You Tube and have a couple of problems.

1. When I export my 16:9 project out of Final Cut Pro using Quicktime MPEG-4 compression settings as follows:
Video format H.264
Data Rate 256 Optimized for download
Image Size 320 X 240 QVGA
Preserve aspect ratio using: letterbox
Frame Rate 30
Key Frame Automatic
H.264 options
Restrict profile Main
Encoding Mode Best Quality

The resulting Quicktime file is squished with no letterbox, I've tried multiple times with slight changes in the settings with the same results.

2. The video when posted on You Tube has large pixelation and poor quality. I've taken into consideration that the video is compressed further when hosted but when compared to other videos on the site, my project stinks.

I can't seem to figure out why I can't get a 16:9 w/letterbox and why I'm not seeing a smooth, comparable quality video.

The project was shot on Sony XDCAM with sequence settings:1080p30 (35 Mb/s VBR)

Cheers,
D
David Bertinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

See post 35 here re use of DivX with YouTube:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...461#post625461
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Major Player

youtube recompress' at the need they want, not yours
Salah Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Major Player

OK, take a look at this one that I did of my kid's band practicing (it's not high art...just did it for them to post on their MySpace pages).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrfhCkJP8H8

What I did here was to output using the H.264 800Kbps Quicktime 7 preset in Compressor. But you have to go into the second to last tab in the compressor settings ("Geometry") and click the bottom-most popup ("Constrain to display aspect") and choose "16:9".

The resulting video will be quite large, but as long as it's under YouTube's max file size (100mb), they'll re-compress it and letterbox it (like they did for mine).

Don't overthink the problem. Throw the highest-quality thing you can at them. It'll look better when they're through mashing it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Compressing for You Tube-compressor-example.jpg  
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Why not just send Youtube a 16x9 file?
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey David

This confirms your settings:

http://www.squidoo.com/lensmaster/workshop/youtuberight

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bertinelli View Post
I've got a project that I'm trying to post on You Tube and have a couple of problems.

1. When I export my 16:9 project out of Final Cut Pro using Quicktime MPEG-4 compression settings as follows:
Video format H.264
Data Rate 256 Optimized for download
Image Size 320 X 240 QVGA
Preserve aspect ratio using: letterbox
Frame Rate 30
Key Frame Automatic
H.264 options
Restrict profile Main
Encoding Mode Best Quality

The resulting Quicktime file is squished with no letterbox, I've tried multiple times with slight changes in the settings with the same results.

2. The video when posted on You Tube has large pixelation and poor quality. I've taken into consideration that the video is compressed further when hosted but when compared to other videos on the site, my project stinks.

I can't seem to figure out why I can't get a 16:9 w/letterbox and why I'm not seeing a smooth, comparable quality video.

The project was shot on Sony XDCAM with sequence settings:1080p30 (35 Mb/s VBR)

Cheers,
D
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Maller View Post
OK, take a look at this one that I did of my kid's band practicing (it's not high art...just did it for them to post on their MySpace pages).

YouTube - Crimson Tears: rehearsal outtakes

What I did here was to output using the H.264 800Kbps Quicktime 7 preset in Compressor. But you have to go into the second to last tab in the compressor settings ("Geometry") and click the bottom-most popup ("Constrain to display aspect") and choose "16:9".

The resulting video will be quite large, but as long as it's under YouTube's max file size (100mb), they'll re-compress it and letterbox it (like they did for mine).

Don't overthink the problem. Throw the highest-quality thing you can at them. It'll look better when they're through mashing it down.
Could you take us through this step by step from when the fcp clip is finished editing to you tube if you had time?
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Major Player

youtube supports 16x9, so use a 16x9-format. For example 640x360 or 1024x576. Use a large format, because youtube also stores your files untouched for future-use with higher qualities. So if youtube sometime takes its quality-standards a step further, your video will be effected, too. Youtube did such a quality-progression already before some time: Put &fmt=18 behind a youtube-video-url and you will see a much higher quality even with clips uploaded a long time ago (, if that clip was uploaded with a high quality ignoring the youtube-recommendations).
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #9
Major Player

These are my Sorrenson Squeeze settings.
I encode to MPEG4

Last edited by Gary Brun; October 16th, 2008 at 03:46 PM.
Gary Brun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Major Player

David-

I have been pleased with the amount of control offered by Compressor. This is one of my YouTube pages:

YouTube - uimediaproduction's Channel

Several of the shows were produced HD/16:9 but I uploaded high-resolution letterboxed source files for simplicity's sake. If you are interested, I can get back to you with the Compressor settings I use here.
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro Web Export

Final Cut Pro Web Export

To compress and encode video for the web. Go to File, Export, and choose Using Quicktime Conversion. Name the file, make sure the format is Quicktime movie, and click on options. Click on the settings, and under compression type select H264.

Now Size. Click the dimensions tab and click on CUSTOM. Export at 480 X 360, which retains the 16x9 aspect ratio of your movie video. Set letter box click OK.

Final Cut Pro Web Export Audio
Now encode the audio. Make sure Sound is checked and click on settings. Under format select IMA 4:1.

Under rate select 22.05. These settings will help shrink the file size. And hit OK. And OK one more time.

Completing Web Export
And finally hit save.
David Allen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill View Post
I uploaded high-resolution letterboxed source files for simplicity's sake.
High-resolution is good, but there's no use of letterboxing. Letterboxing prevents the clip from getting full-screen on a wide-screen-monitor without black bars left and right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Smith View Post
Under format select IMA 4:1. Under rate select 22.05.
No. Select AAC with 44.1kHz or 48kHz stereo and about 96-128kbit/s VBR, for retaining CD-quality-audio.

Compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4icdCfx97k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4icdCfx97k&fmt=18
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #13
Major Player

I decided to use letterboxing after having unpredictable results from uploading 16:9 content; some people would see it correctly, others would see it stretched. Maybe they've improved their process in the meanwhile.
Old October 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill View Post
I decided to use letterboxing after having unpredictable results from uploading 16:9 content; some people would see it correctly, others would see it stretched. Maybe they've improved their process in the meanwhile.
I remember there are some buggy clips on youtube, which immediately irreversible change their aspect-ratio if you're skipping or switching fullscreen. I guess it's concerned with not using quadratic pixels, but I don't know.
I didn't have any problems with uploading 16x9-stuff.
Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yL51W9njLM&fmt=18
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold View Post
High-resolution is good, but there's no use of letterboxing. Letterboxing prevents the clip from getting full-screen on a wide-screen-monitor without black bars left and right.

No. Select AAC with 44.1kHz or 48kHz stereo and about 96-128kbit/s VBR, for retaining CD-quality-audio.

Compare:
YouTube - (TV spot) Performing Iowa: Dance Gala
YouTube - (TV spot) Performing Iowa: Dance Gala
Thanks for the tip, the sound is much better!

I will be using your audio settings in the future.
David Allen Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite