DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 20th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

iDive

I posted this question on the iDive forum.

Quote:
It would be great when iDive would support HDV for the JVC-HD 1xx/2xx series because FCP has a capture problem with these camera's!
I used to use iDive to capture my DV tapes.
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:58 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Fcp 5.1.4

Another FCP update!

Maybe this time?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...cutpro514.html
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:41 AM   #18
Major Player

Unless it says something about it in the text, it's not likely. :-(
But thanks for posting.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Not fixed in 5.1

Hi all,

I'd posted my problems with the 4-Second problem a few months back. At the time, JVC told me I wouldn't be able to get a clean import unless I was using the HD-110, or the HD-100 with the 'A' firmware upgrade and FCP 5.1.

Since then, I've made the software upgrade (firmware upgrade was already done.) Short story is, no joy. I read another post that says 5.1.3 offers hope, but again, JVC said this was supposed to be fixed in 5.1...

The story I'm getting now is that there must be something wrong with my camera in particular, and that I should send it in for repairs.

Two things seem dubious here; (1) judging from this length of this string, I'm hardly alone. (2) They've made no guarantees that the repairs, which I'll need to pay for, will actually work, as the root issue seems to be on the Mac side (details below.)

Instead, I'm simply moving away from the camera. But here are some bits of information I picked up that may be useful to folks still working with it.

1. Incompatibility with Apple

The problem seems to be Mac only. JVC says that has to do with the 'very literal' way OSX deals with incoming transport streams. I wasn't sure what this meant, but apparently it's more stringent than I/O for Win-Tel systems. In other words, the root of the problem is a Mac-specific architecture issue over which JVC has no real control.

Folks using this camera with Premier, Vegas etc. have confirmed that Win-Tel systems don't run into this issue.

JVC did not try to explain why other equipment makers were able to negotiate both Mac and Win-Tel I/O successfully.

2. Video Flags

Apparently, JVC attempted to remedy the situation with improvements to the way the transport streams are flagged by the encoder (i.e. in-camera.)

These were incorporated in the 'A' firmware upgrade. Accordingly (and this is per JVC) tapes recorded on a pre-upgrade HD-100 will still demonstrate the problem, even if the capture deck has been upgraded, and the user is running 5.1. In my experience they both fail, but this the JVC line.

3. Uncompressed Output

None of this has any bearing if you're using the uncompressed component out, and using FCP to manage direct-to-disk capture.

Right now, the camera is doing good service as a signal generator as I get the bugs worked out of a RAID-based DDR solution. But unless I divest myself from FCP (unlikely) I'm unable to rely on it for work that's done on tape.

Hope this helps.
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #20
Major Player

Greetings Alex,

I'm curious to know if you've attempted to capture using the DVHS/Streamclip method. Many people have long since turned away from the native ingest of FCP and have found a very simple effective work-flow using this method.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #21
Regular Crew

4-second problem

Hi Alex, I just read your post today. Have you tried this setting in FCP?

1. Open FCP and select audio/video settings
2. Go to the Device Control Presets tab.
3. Select HDV Firewire NDF and click edit
4. Set pre-roll and post-roll to 1 second (default is 3 for both)
5. Save and use that as template for capturing.

I hope this fixes problem you are having. If not, my apologies.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Tim Brown, can you walk me through the DVHS/Streamclip method for capturing footage?

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #23
Major Player

The link to the workflow posted by David Knaggs can be found here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....47&postcount=5
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #24
Major Player

George that doesn't work. I tried changing the pre-roll and it still hickups quite often and for more than a couple seconds. I'm going to send in my camera in a couple weeks for some other issues and will note this as one in case they can find a way to fix it...
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite