DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 15th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP Ken Burns effect acceleration

I'm working on on a project in FCP, and I'm trying to figure out how to do a Ken Burns effect, but not in the simple way. Usually, I'd set a scale keyframe at the beginning and end, and maybe change the position. But I was wondering if I could get it to accelerate somehow, that is to say, have the picture zoom in slowly, speed up, and then slow down until it gets to the end point. It's kinda hard for me to describe in words, but iMovie's Ken Burns effect does exactly what I'm describing. Can anybody help me out here?
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

In the viewer window where you put your keyframes, right-click (ctrl-click) the starting scale keyframe and select "smooth", then do the same for the ending scale keyframe. You can use the resulting handles to adjust to taste, but be sure to keep them level otherwise you'll be changing the scale.

You can't do this with the position keyframes, but it should get you the desired effect.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks so much for your help! It looks great.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vandas
You can't do this with the position keyframes....
Actually, you can. Make sure the CANVAS is showing "Image+Wireframe" and right click on the green position keyframe points in the centre of the image (in the CANVAS) and you'll get a pop-up menu with "Ease In/Ease Out".

However, FCP usually makes a pig's ear of the positional smoothing it applies. But it is possible. You can then try and adjust the bezier curves that appear, but ..... good luck!!!
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Good tip, Martin. I see what you mean about the smoothing, but this is nice when I want to quickly experiment before going to After Effects.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite