DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Solid white in Viewer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/87442-solid-white-viewer.html)

Gary Walter February 24th, 2007 11:38 AM

Solid white in Viewer

I am using FCP 3 and when my clips are put into the viewer I can not see them until I click on play. Before that the viewer is solid white. When I click play again to stop the clip, the viewer turns to solid white again. If I try to scrub the clip all I can see is a black x at the top right hand side with the background solid white. What the heck happened?

Thank you

Gary Walter

Jeffrey Butler February 24th, 2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Walter
What the heck happened?

I won't even ask why you're still using FCP 3, but it sounds like a format/footage thing - what's your footage? JPEGs? Video? My guess is that the videos really need "converted" first...drop them into the timeline and tell me what happens. My guess is you'll have to either adjust the codec for the sequence (Sequence Settings) or be able to preview it realtime, but it really kinda wants to render it...

Every once in a while I bring footage into FCP or Motion and it really just doesn't like it - and I solve it w/ a quick export from Quicktime to the format I really need it in, then the "strange things" tend to go away...

Jeffrey Butler February 24th, 2007 11:50 AM

X might mark the spot

But before you start converting all your footage, check the manual for what the black X might be referring to...that'll probably tell you everything you need to pick a solution (that might be what I mentioned above)...you would want to test a conversion on one small piece first...

Gary Walter February 24th, 2007 11:59 AM

When video clip is put directly into timeline evrything seems fine and is viewable in canvas. The issue is only with the viewer.

Thank you

Gary Walter

Jeffrey Butler February 24th, 2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

When video clip is put directly into timeline evrything seems fine and is viewable in canvas. The issue is only with the viewer.

Could be the size your viewer is set to (the zoom it's set to). I have had whackiness when it's set to a size other than 100% or 50%. Try setting the zoom to 50 or 100 - just throwing stuff out, b/c it sounds like the timeline stuff is fine...

Gary Walter February 24th, 2007 12:38 PM

Thanks for your quick replies Jeffry

I had tried changing the size in viewer also with no luck. I also opened up a project that worked fine a few weeks ago and the clips do not show in the viewer now as they had in the past. I am going to capture a new clip and see if anything different happens.

Gary Walter February 24th, 2007 12:43 PM

Thanks for your quick replies Jeffry

I had tried changing the size in viewer also with no luck. I also opened up a project that worked fine a few weeks ago and the clips do not show in the viewer now as they had in the past. I am going to capture a new clip and see if anything different happens.

Gary Walter February 24th, 2007 12:49 PM

Jeffrey

Just stumbled onto the solution. For some odd reason the viewer was set to Alpha instead of RGB. No idea how that happened. I think I will go and get an ice cold brew and relax for a while just as soon as I put the hammer away.

Thank you

Gary Walter

Jeffrey Butler February 24th, 2007 02:31 PM

Alphas & Wireframes, those guys all think they're swell...

Quote:

Just stumbled onto the solution. For some odd reason the viewer was set to Alpha instead of RGB. No idea how that happened. I think I will go and get an ice cold brew and relax for a while just as soon as I put the hammer away.

Alpha channel viewer mode will do that you to ;-) I did a similar thing w/ the Image/Wireframe setting for the Canvas...could not, for the life of me figure out why the video wouldn't play...Wireframe mode has little to show you!