DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.16 vs 2.33 Dual 2 Core (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/87524-macbook-pro-dual-core-2-16-vs-2-33-dual-2-core.html)

Roman Rowlands February 25th, 2007 03:33 PM

Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.16 vs 2.33 Dual 2 Core

Hi, I need a very quick answer please. I have about 1 hour to decide. I need a macbook pro for Final Cut Studio. I have found a 2.16 Dual Core one at a very good price, how much of performance I will compromise by not getting the new 2.33 Dual 2 Core one?

Thanks, please hurry :)

Terence Murphy February 25th, 2007 07:47 PM

You'd be hard pressed to be able to detect a 7% clock difference, so I'd spend the money on RAM and/or a bigger/faster hard drive.

-Terence

Rich Dykmans February 25th, 2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terence Murphy
You'd be hard pressed to be able to detect a 7% clock difference, so I'd spend the money on RAM and/or a bigger/faster hard drive.

-Terence

Huh? Not hard pressed at all! I sold a 2.16 core duo MBP and went to a 2.33 core 2 duo. It's anywhere from 20 to 40% faster depending on which app you're running. Huge difference running Aperture and at least 15-20% running FCP 5.1.2.

Brandon Potthoff February 26th, 2007 10:34 AM

difference

yes there is a big difference I have a 2.33 and it is much faster than the 2.16 the guys I work with have them and they were also suprised at how much faster it is at exporting, I do alot of sameday edits so this was a big deal to me time is very valuable to me.
Brandoon

Terence Murphy February 26th, 2007 08:20 PM

Oops, I didn't see the Core 1/2 distinction, which definitely does make a difference. The subtle clock difference, not so much.

-Terence

Andy Mees February 26th, 2007 09:15 PM

lets hope it was too late anway :/
the OP said he had about 1 hour to decide ... Terrance chimed in 3 hours past the deadline!

Rich Dykmans February 27th, 2007 10:55 AM

I did a fair amount of editing on a 15" 2.16 core duo and it's certainly no slouch.

Larry Vaughn March 2nd, 2007 08:31 AM

Core 2 Duo

I just read this post.........the grapevine tells me that the Core2 Duo processor will support the 64 bit capabilities of the next version of OSX, coming soon, but the Core Duo won't. If true, that should provide a speed bump in itself.

Roman Rowlands March 2nd, 2007 09:31 AM

Got a 2.33 one, only 1 problem, I find 15.4 screen too small using FCP, I doubt I could work on it for long periods of time, good job there is a DVI output, still great for mobile editing, thanks for all the advice

Larry Vaughn March 6th, 2007 10:42 PM

DVI cable

Ypu can get a good deal on the dvi cable at Sam's club if you are or know a member. Nice thick cable for not that much money, compared to some of the extortion stores. You then need the mini div-dvi adapter cable from the Apple store or Comp Usa. They are closing some stores and you might find a good deal. It was a dollar less than the Apple store at the Palisades Mall in New York last fall.

If you compare Apples to Apples in the Core 2 duo mode, the less than 8% processor speed bump doesn't mean that the software will do anything 8% faster. Even if it did, you wouldn't notice it and it sure isn't worth paying $200 for the option.

That doesn't apply to the Core duo vs Core 2 duo contest. Has anyone actually run that comparison sans the new hardware fanboy bias or Apple marketing hyperpuffery?

And, I want to see how the 64bit deal works with the next version of OSX.

Steve Maller March 6th, 2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn (Post 634618)
I just read this post.........the grapevine tells me that the Core2 Duo processor will support the 64 bit capabilities of the next version of OSX, coming soon, but the Core Duo won't. If true, that should provide a speed bump in itself.

64-bit has little or no practical bearing on speed. It just means if you have a database which has a potential size of 1,000,000,000,000,000 bytes, you can directly address any byte with a single pointer. I don't think that's going to make anything any of us does go any faster. :)