DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   How to Capture 32K audio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/87655-how-capture-32k-audio.html)

Glenn Davidson February 27th, 2007 01:34 AM

How to Capture 32K audio?

I am transfering to FCP some older DV tapes for a client and I notice that two were recorded at 32K sampling rate for the audio. Since I did not see a 32K selection on the capture selection menu, I am using standard DV 48K. So far, the captured file looks in sync and I did not hear any distortion. How would you capture 32K audio?

Victor Kellar February 27th, 2007 02:58 PM

Easy Setup: DV-NTSC 32K

In the Easy Setup box, you may have to check the "Show All" button to expand it to show more setups

Capturing it as 48K you may or may not have sync probs, as long as all your audio matches. You may not find out till you try to Export it.

Glenn Davidson February 27th, 2007 10:27 PM

Hmmm. I don't see that on FCP5. The basic Dv-NTSC works fine though. Thanks for your response.

Victor Kellar February 27th, 2007 11:38 PM

File>Easy Setup etc. etc. How many setups do you see? There should be a whole whack of them. If not, something was wrong with your set up. Trash prefs and try again

You should also be able to change it under Sequence Settings

At any rate, glad things are working

Glenn Davidson February 27th, 2007 11:50 PM

Now I am curious. Under Final Cut Pro>Easy Set Up (SHOW ALL), for DV-NTSC I have:

DV NTSC
DV NTSC 24P
DV NTSC 24P APR
DV NTSC ANAMORPHIC
DV NTSC FW BASIC

No 32 kHz.

Victor Kellar February 28th, 2007 09:43 AM

Do you see the other non-DV setups as well? Or just those? Definitely something amiss ... is this a new install? I would definitely trash the prefs or even do a re-install

Jonathan Jones February 28th, 2007 11:41 AM

Hi Glenn,
I am using FCP HD 4.5 and I remember having some concern about this way back when I was preparing to do a capture of some 32khz material. To be honest, I really don't remember what I did, as I seem to remember having read somewhere that you can just capture your 32 kHz audio into a 48 kHz timeline and FCP will resample automatically. I don't really know if this was the case....I'm suspicious of it. Although, I just tested that to see what would happen. I just ran a test capture of a dv tape with 32 kHz audio and captured it into a project and dropped it into a 48 kHz timeline. It played fine...so I don't know. In any case, it is easy enough to make your 32 kHz custom preset.

If I remember correctly, this is what you need to do. (I don't think anything is amiss with your preferences or anything. I just think that the 32 kHz presets are custom, not stock. So no re-install needed)

In your Audio/Video settings, click on your Capture Presets tab. You will see your standard 48 kHz capture settings. Click the "Duplicate" button and you will get a window that lets you set all the paremeters (including first two channels of audio, sencod two channels, etc... - and you can also select your audio kHz preset. Give your new preset an appropriate name and description and click OK You now have a preset for 32 kHz capture.

Good luck.
-Jon

Glenn Davidson February 28th, 2007 12:30 PM

Victor:
Those are just the DV NTSC set-ups that I listed.

Jonathan:
I think you are right about FCP resampling the audio. Even though FCP gave a warning about the 32K audio in a 48 K timeline, sync and sonic quality are fine. So FCP must have handeled it. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't putting out a master that had problems.

Thanks to both you for the help.

Jonathan Jones February 28th, 2007 12:51 PM

Cool. I'm glad its working for you.
-Jon