DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/88020-fcp-help.html)

Roman Rowlands March 3rd, 2007 07:27 AM

FCP help

I was running a two-up set-up & minimised the timeline & canvas windows, now that I try & switch them back on they can't be selected for some reason & minimised ones have disappeared, I can select others though. How can I get back canvas & timeline back on scree?

Thanks

Cole McDonald March 3rd, 2007 09:23 AM

They are probably on the right side of your dock as a minimized window

either that or in the windows or tools menu, select the pertinent window and toggle it closed then open...if that doesn't work, save, quit and relaunch FCP.

Roman Rowlands March 3rd, 2007 12:39 PM

Well I couldn't find them anywhere, had to start new project & only then they appeared. It seems odd that they just vanished, I simply minimised them both. And why wasn't it possible to select them via the Window I also do not understand.

Cole McDonald March 3rd, 2007 06:34 PM

Perhaps you hit the red button by accident, the yellow button minimizes. What you are describing sounds like you closed the project without realizing it.

Roman Rowlands March 3rd, 2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole McDonald (Post 635426)
Perhaps you hit the red button by accident, the yellow button minimizes. What you are describing sounds like you closed the project without realizing it.

I know I didn't close it, as browser & viewer remained open. Now something else started happening, as soon as I move video to timeline it won't play it in Canvas unless rendered. I must admit I am on overload right now, started learning it recently & perhaps I just don't know certain procedures, but I must admit that disappearance was odd.

Greg Boston March 3rd, 2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman Rowlands (Post 635432)
I know I didn't close it, as browser & viewer remained open. Now something else started happening, as soon as I move video to timeline it won't play it in Canvas unless rendered. I must admit I am on overload right now, started learning it recently & perhaps I just don't know certain procedures, but I must admit that disappearance was odd.

The browser and viewer will remain open even when you close the project. But closing the project will make the timeline and canvas windows go away. IOW, you MUST have a project open to see them.

If your video wants to be rendered when you drag it to the timeline, your sequence settings aren't the same as your source clips.

-gb-

Roman Rowlands March 4th, 2007 06:45 AM

Thanks Greg, I also moved to the MAC just last week after years of being a Windows user, that adds to levels of frustration when I can't see a solution to certain problems. So you are saying that even though the browser (contains video, audio & sequence & showing name of project) & viewer remain open, the actual project may be closed? Even if I closed timeline & canvas & did not minimise them, can that close the project? Because I didn't do anything else.

When I opened a new project (unnamed project) all windows appeared & I could minimise them & recall them, but when I closed the new project & was left with the old one, I still could not recall neither the timeline nor the canvas, they just could not be selected. So I thought maybe it is a bug in software, it just didn't make any sense, still doesn't.

Neil Rostance March 4th, 2007 06:51 AM

I might have the wrong end of the stick here, but would clicking on the Window/Arrange/Standard tabs be any help?

I often got majorly confused when either the timeline or the tool-bar would disappear, and it was only after a good few hours i realized that was the solution as it would bring all the boxes right back to where you left them.

Just a thought anyway.

Neil

Roman Rowlands March 4th, 2007 07:09 AM

OK, this is what's happening & driving me nuts. When a project is open & I close a canvas FC automatically closes the timeline at the same time & afterwards neither of them can be recalled by selecting any combo in Arrange window & I can not select them individually via Window as Toolbench, Timeline & Canvas are non selectable, but if I close Viewer I can still recall it, what the hell?

Roman Rowlands March 4th, 2007 07:28 AM

I know what it is now, I had to double-click on a Sequence to bring back closed canvas & timeline, at least I know what to do next time LOL

Roman Rowlands March 4th, 2007 12:46 PM

The problem with FCP like with most programs is that occasionally they experience mini crashes & unless you perform a program re-start you will never find an option that's meant to be there & all of the sudden it's gone, nowhere to be found. All of the sudden while performing a batch capture capture offline items in logging bin option simply vanished, I managed to get it back only after re-starting FCP.

Liam Hall March 4th, 2007 01:14 PM

Hi Roman,
As a PC user you're probably overcomplicating things, clicking too many buttons and far too quick to blame the kit.
Remember, you're now on a mac running OSX. All is calm. All is easy.
When you come to do something for the first time just stop and think of what would be the most straightforward way to do it and you won't be far wrong. Most of this stuff really is childs play once you realise you're not on a PC.

Roman Rowlands March 4th, 2007 01:41 PM

Hi Liam, I agree, OSX does seem to be a lot more intuitive & I don't blame the software at all, I just can not understand how an option is there & then it's gone & only becomes available after a re-start. If it was hidden somehow (I don't know maybe I did press something on the keyboard & it performed a switch of some kind. But for some reason I could not think of how to get function back without re-starting.

Liam Hall March 4th, 2007 02:42 PM

Hi Roman,
I'm not sure what's going on with your batch capture, hopefully someone will spot where you're going wrong. What you described earlier in the thread was simply a case of shutting down the timeline - not the programme or software - that's why it all disappeared.

FCP has it's flaky side, particularly for those of us that try to maximise performance and minimise our spend on hardware. It can be horribly frustrating, but ultimately it's very rewarding - especially for those of us old enough to have worked with sprocket holes.

Oh, and welcome to all things mac. Your life just got richer, but your pocket just got poorer. Sorry, that's tosh...

Roman Rowlands March 4th, 2007 03:03 PM

I guess I am trying to run before learning how to walk, I need to learn it ASAP as I have a friend of a friend in the broadcasting industry & I may get freelance work providing I am competent at editing.