DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Direct to Disc With FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/88289-direct-disc-fcp.html)

R. Phil Johnston March 6th, 2007 11:32 AM

Direct to Disc With FCP

Hi,

since this is my first post id just like to say hi to everyone and also that these forums are an amazing source of info... Thanks!

I would like to know if it is practical to Record HDV direct to disk using FCP.

Anyone got any experiences doing this? anything i should know?

Im using a Cannon XH-A1. FCP 5.1.4 on Mac Book Pro 17"

Thanks Phil.

William Hohauser March 6th, 2007 03:31 PM

You can't do it yet. At the present FCP only recognizes a HDV mpeg transport stream from the recorded tape. Perhaps in the near future since the Focus FireStore DTD drive is able to convert the m2t file to QuickTime on the fly.

R. Phil Johnston March 6th, 2007 04:16 PM

re

can you do it with sd dv?

Boyd Ostroff March 6th, 2007 05:05 PM

Yes, that should work. If you're shooting with a camera like the Z1 you could set it to downconvert the firewire output as you shoot. Then you could have HDV on a tape and SD DV captured directly to a computer.

Brian Chow March 8th, 2007 01:44 PM

you can

Just to let you know, I have captured diredt to disk with my MBP17" and my JVC HD100. It was quite a while ago but I am 100% sure that is what I did, because I remeber just transferring the files over to another computer. I also rolled tape as well, maybe that is why it let me do it.

Brian

R. Phil Johnston March 9th, 2007 12:32 PM

re

where you capturing to disk in HD or does your cam down convert? not sure if my cam will output SD while recording HD to tape... ill need check the manual.

This system would work fine for me as this project is for the web, would be nice to have it archived in HD just in case.

ill try some stuff and let you know what i come up with.

thanks for the info!!

Brian Chow March 9th, 2007 02:18 PM

I was capturing in HDV 720P30. I've done it a few times now.

Brian

William Hohauser March 10th, 2007 06:33 PM

Did it capture the time-code from the camera as well? Or did it reset to zero for every capture?

Patrick Moreau March 10th, 2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 637105)
You can't do it yet. At the present FCP only recognizes a HDV mpeg transport stream from the recorded tape. Perhaps in the near future since the Focus FireStore DTD drive is able to convert the m2t file to QuickTime on the fly.

Not too sure what William is talking about but the Firestore FS4HD Pro will work right away in FCP. I use the irestore on my A1 when recording HDV and it works just fine- its been an option for a while to.

Just be sure to get the pro HD model as it is the only version that give syou the option to record to a quicktime file. M2T files in the non pro version do need to be converted first.

Drew Curran March 12th, 2007 07:38 AM

Phil

We mac users seem to be a bit behind on HDV live capture - so far only DV and DVCProHD capture is available with Scopebox or Dv Monitor Pro (now in beta for HD). They all say until Apple release something relating to quicktime, HDV capture will not be included in their apps.

Perhaps by then FCP 6 will be out and allow live HDV capture.

Andrew

William Hohauser March 12th, 2007 09:56 AM

The question that I pose is:

Why is the FireStore able to cature HDV live with time code and convert it to QuickTime on the fly and other programs can't. If a company like Focus can do it, others should be able to. Unless there is some sort of unique hardware they are using.

Brian Chow March 12th, 2007 09:59 AM

I don't know if I'm understanding the queston but I DO capture live HDV from the HD100 into FCP5.1 . right into my MBP 17", no conversion, nothing. Capture - Edit - output, no downloading from tape.

Brian

Patrick Moreau March 12th, 2007 10:00 AM

Thats what I said too Brian. I'm a little lost.

William Hohauser March 12th, 2007 02:06 PM

Are your captures getting the same timecode as is recorded on the tape? For example:

You start recording at 23:32:00 on the tape. Does the captured clip have the same start number?

If the captures always start at 00:00:00:00 then something isn't getting completely thru.