DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   From Adobe Premiere to Final Cut Pro! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/88912-adobe-premiere-final-cut-pro.html)

Marco Dias March 14th, 2007 11:27 AM

From Adobe Premiere to Final Cut Pro!

Hi there!

I've been editing with Premiere and Matrox on a PC for about 3 years now.
Mainly weddings and event projects. I've gotten to the point that I am tired of all the instability problems that I experience with Adobe and Matrox.

I have been thinking of switching over from PC to Mac Pro, from Premiere to Final Cut Pro 6 (When released) and from Windows XP to Leopard (When released).

How much of a difference or learning curve will it be from Premiere to FCP?

How stable is editing on FCP compared to Adobe Premiere?

Thanks for the input!

Lisa Shofner March 14th, 2007 11:59 AM

Hi,

I'm still fairly new to FCP myself. However, I can say that I like it better so far. One thing that I notice first off was that FCP (running on an iMac) did NOT crash with a 45 minute clip. Whereas Premiere crashed CONSTANTLY with a 20 minute clip (the PC has more processor and hard drive then the mac too).

The right-mouse-click thing on the mac still gets me though (I'm so use to PCs).

In my use, about 6 months, I've had no crashes with FCP - and actually find myself wanting to recapture items if I need to re-edit, instead of editing them on the PC again.

Kevin Randolph March 14th, 2007 12:17 PM

Lisa, I'm with you on the right click thing, as I converted to a Mac about two years ago. So I just took an old MS Internet Explorer Intellimouse that I had lying around and plugged it into my Mac. Downloaded the drivers and have been happily right-clicking ever since. Also, a right click will be the same as holding down Control and left clicking, but I think that's the same on a PC, so you're probably already aware.

Just a thought for the transition...

Harrison Murchison March 15th, 2007 01:32 PM

I haven't used FCP on a daily basis but In my experiences it has always been a fairly robust and reliable application.

If you're looking to come over at this time you have certainly picked the right time. Leopard has a lot of architectural changes that will make all apps much better and more responsive. Quicktime is being improved particularly in h.264/AVC encoding.

We have a month to go before Apple announces the nextgen Final Cut Studio which should be the culmination of 2 years of product advancement.

I'm hopping in late 2007 early 2008 for the long haul. I'm going to get a HD camera (consumer) and FCS and Logic Pro. I may even contemplate becoming certified in both. I want to get my ideas out in the most efficient manner and I'm confident that Apple is going to wow me with new updates this year.

Theodore McNeil March 15th, 2007 03:34 PM

The switch from Adobe to Apple is pretty easy. There is just a few things in different places, but after about a month you don't even notice.

On the mouse front... I've been right-clicking since final cut 3. I got a replacement two button logictech USB mouse and plugged it in.

When go to buy your mouse make sure there is mac OSX symbol on the side of the box. With the OSX on the box there are no drivers involved and you can right-click til your hearts content.