DV to HDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DV to HDV

In your whole process that you have outlined...when would I convert a DV 60i tape so that I can edit it on an HDV 24fps timeline in FCP? Is this possible?

ps- could you also look at my follow up question to your reply that outline the whole process?

Your ROCK!!!!
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Wrangler

You can drop a NTSC DV 60i clip into a HDV24P sequence, but you'll need to scale it up and de-interlace it (with a de-intelace effect.)

I had to do the exact same thing recently for a 720P24 film with NTSC elements. It isn't perfect, (FCP isn't super-intelligent with 60i source to 24P sequence conversion) but it works.
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Um. This is where my ignorance of your work flow process is going to really show. Could you look at my below thought process of how this would work and see if it is correct?

Step 1 - I capture the 60i DV footage with DVHSCap
Step 2 - I make MPEG Streamclip by exporting to quicktime and I use AIC or HDV codec - 1280x720 unscaled
Step 3 - drop that in currently used FCP 24p timeline?

Thanks. I really need to be handheld through this stuff. Sorry.
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Pieczenik View Post
Um. This is where my ignorance of your work flow process is going to really show. Could you look at my below thought process of how this would work and see if it is correct?

Step 1 - I capture the 60i DV footage with DVHSCap
Step 2 - I make MPEG Streamclip by exporting to quicktime and I use AIC or HDV codec - 1280x720 unscaled
Step 3 - drop that in currently used FCP 24p timeline?

Thanks. I really need to be handheld through this stuff. Sorry.
Nope. Capture any DV footage with Final Cut Pro - use one of the capture presets for NTSC. DVHSCap is only for capturing HDV.
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ah. So I shouldn't get those weird dropouts when I try and capture DV from my deck or camera? Sweet. I am going to go and try it in a few minutes. Wish me luck!
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Um. In own personal hell. I can't seem to get one thing working so that I can actually edit. One answer is questioned and then I am hit with another mystery.

I am trying to capture my footage from the DV tape from my camera. The switch on the camera is set to DV for the firewire. The camera is on DV. Final Cut is communicating with the camera because I can press the PLAY button on the capture window and the video in the camera screen starts playing. The TC numbers in the Capture Preview screen start rolling. However, there is no image that is played. When it does Capture Now, there is a big black screen with no moving image and it says it is capturing. I stopped it to see if would create any type of clip, even one with a black screen, and it did not.

I am so frustrated.
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Pieczenik View Post
Um. In own personal hell. I can't seem to get one thing working so that I can actually edit. One answer is questioned and then I am hit with another mystery.

I am trying to capture my footage from the DV tape from my camera. The switch on the camera is set to DV for the firewire. The camera is on DV. Final Cut is communicating with the camera because I can press the PLAY button on the capture window and the video in the camera screen starts playing. The TC numbers in the Capture Preview screen start rolling. However, there is no image that is played. When it does Capture Now, there is a big black screen with no moving image and it says it is capturing. I stopped it to see if would create any type of clip, even one with a black screen, and it did not.

I am so frustrated.
Is the camera in VTR mode? You've set the capture preset to NTSC - DV? If you have a Decklink or Kona, maybe you left it on external input?

One thing to try is to go to the View menu and select "Refresh A/V devices." (option + F12)
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Is the camera in VTR mode? You've set the capture preset to NTSC - DV? If you have a Decklink or Kona, maybe you left it on external input?

One thing to try is to go to the View menu and select "Refresh A/V devices." (option + F12)
It is in the right mode. The capture preset was NTSC-DV. I don't have a Decklink or Kona. I tried turning everything off and on in different orders but I haven't tried the "Refresh."

I have gone from anger to sadness. Is apathy the next emotion?

I am so tired and frustrated. I am going to sleep. Can't work on either problem anymore (one, getting the DV to HDV to edit and two, getting the HDV captured without drops). We are so close. Please, Tim, if you can - look out for my questions on the forum tomorrow if it still is going all wrong. I am under such a time crunch and have a long list of things to do besides editing that all of this is affecting. I am sure you have a lot to do as well and helping me with my problems is not your job in life, but I can't stress enough how thankful I am.

Night,
Sharon
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Nothing seems to be working. Any other thoughts?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

MYSTERY SOLVED

For some reason, I could not export the DV video from my JVC HD110U through the firewire (even when the switch was set on DV) - However, my deck BR-HD50 did. So, go the DV footage on the HDV timeline. There are some digital smears when things move to fast (not sure why), but for me, right now, that is better than nothin.
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite