Photoshop Layers in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Photoshop Layers in FCP

I'm having trouble bringing a multi-layered image into FCP. I have done it before but I used a different technique. Originally I exported a freezed frame and brought it into photoshop. The only way I could get it to work was to export the image from FCP as a PSD format. Using photoshop I made 2 layers and brought it back into FCP. That worked.

However, this time i've scanned pictures and did some creative work in photoshop using 8 different layers. I saved it as a PSD with layers. I then imported the file to FCP but it isn't a sequence (one layer). I don't understand why it won't work. Can anyone help me?
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Still Motion

I've always found that layered effects with images work better when saved to tiff over PSD, but maybe thats just me.

When you bring the layered into FCP and drop it into the timeline, it should open up as a nested sequence. If you then double click on that (the media you just put int the timeline) it should open in another sequence with all of the layers as different tracks., You can then animate them as you want and then go back to the original sequence to do further editing to the project. Not sure if thats what your doing and your still having a problem, or perhaps you didnt notice that it was a nested sequence?
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for the help patrick. i know what you mean by the nested sequence. i've used them to animate stuff before. thats why i'm so confused that the file won't import into FCP as a sequence. the only difference is that i got the pictures from a scanner rather then the video itself.

i'll try saving it as a TIFF and see it works. thanks again.
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #4
Still Motion

I've only does this from pics from a scanner or a digital camera so there really shouldn't be a problem (not that those files are any different). Try tiff and see if that helps.

I know this one is pretty obvious, but make sure your saving with layers turned on. There are some other save options that can effect how FCP see the file so check that out if tiff doesnt work right away.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i tried the TIFF format but it still didn't work. i think the layers are turned on because as i saved it as a tiff and it asked me if i was sure i wanted it in layers due to the file size. i'll double check everything to make sure nothing is turned off. thanks again for the help.

just in case anyone is curious. what i'm doing is taking 7 age progressive photos and selecting out the body in photoshop. then i put them all in one file to import into FCP. in FCP i will make each selection appear starting at the baby picture until present. the effect will look like the person growing up in seconds as an intro to the photo montage. i'll actually see how it looks if i can get the layers to work.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Major Player

The FCP documentation (Vol III, Part II, "Working With Still Images and Photographs") has more detailed information on this. In short, the recommendation is to flatten an image before a .PSD file is imported into Final Cut. The exception is is you need to control individual layers of your Photoshop file from within FCP; there is some support for this, but it is important to realize that FCP only supports a subset of Photoshop layering features.

To summarize, for a single image, no export to TIFF is needed, but I would recommend to save a flattened version of the file and use that in FCP.

- Martin
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #7
Echoes from the Backyard

Sean,

first of all, I do all of my PS work on a PC. FCP doesn't like PC saved files, however, so I find myself opening the file in PS on the mac and doing a Save As.

Ta da! Opens as a sequence in FCP.

Maybe someone more technically inclined can explain why.
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks guys for the help. i do use a PC to work on PS. i'm looking to get PS on my MAC so this won't be a problem. the information was helpful. i'll read more into the user manuals too.
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi Sean,
I had this problem last week myself. It boggled me because I have dropped layered PS fies into FCP in order to animate the individual layers many times in the past and I never had any problems at all. But I received a PS file last week that I couldn't get to show up as layers no matter what I tried.

So I figured out a workaround. I use an older version of FCP (version 4.5) and a much older version of Photoshop (version 5.5...so old I have to use it in Classic). I figured that the PS file I recieved was probably generated from the latest version of Photoshop or was perhaps set up as some type of different profile or something, and perhaps for some reason, something in the coding had changed in layered files so that my older FCP couldn't read it as layered files. I don't really know.

So I opened it up in my old Photoshop 4.5 (which had to re-convert it to an RGB file) and then re-saved it as a new layered file which opened fine FCP as a layered file that I was able to animate as individual layers.

Worked for me.

Hope it helps.
-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite