Using FCP & XHA1 - External Monitor/Still Image? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using FCP & XHA1 - External Monitor/Still Image?

Hi everyone,

I've learned that in order for me to view my HD footage whilst editing on my Mac w/ the latest FCP, I'd need an aftermarket card to display the signal. It was recommended to me that I could, however, output HD stills via firewire to an external monitor for color correction, using the XHA1 as the intermediary between the Mac and the monitor. Is this accurate? If so, can someone tell me how I would set this up to work? (I've included a link to the HD CRT I was thinking of using below).

Thanks in advance,
Luke

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Luke Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

hey luke, do you just mean you are not able to view the canvas window on an external monitor? If so, I run a 2GHz Macbook Pro w/ dvi out to a 1920x1200 BenQ fp241wz and have no problem veiwing the canvas fullscreen on the BenQ. I don't have an aftermarket vid card in the MB Pro or anything. Under the the Audio/video menu select A/V Devices tab and select "digital cinema desktop preview - Fullscreen" and check "mirrored on desktop" and see of that works.
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

oh! you're talking about using an hd ntsc monitor aren't you? Yeah I don't know anything about running those w/ fcp.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I was looking through my book, "final cut pro 5 for mac os x", And it says you can preview your output on a ntsc monitor just by connecting it to the A1 w/ the component, composit, or s-vid outs while cam is connected via fw to comp. hope that helps...
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That did the trick, thanks! I'm editing in HD, but with the XHA1 connected to the firewire port and also connected via component to my HD monitor, I'm able to preview the still frames at the start and end of each sequence (which for my needs at the moment it perfect).

Thanks again!
Luke
Luke Hill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite