DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP, DV to HD

I'm trying to remember if there is another process where you can take DVX footage and pump it up to HDCAM... instead of using photo zoom or a teranex (bad spelling) box...

I've used the teranex box on another project... I'll give the place a call when they open in a few hours... but is there away... if you use the teranex box to give you a more 16x9 look... if you haven't used the 16x9 adapter for the camera..

We didn't on the last project but it didn't matter because it was suppose to look like a camcorder...

I have Shake but haven't played around with it enough to learn about it yet... I'll have to play around with it some more...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Trustee

Do it in Compressor.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Which part David, the 16x9...

Also just thought about the Instant HD from Red Giant...

Sorry its been almost a year until I got back on my Mac... so that I can do things...
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McClurg View Post
Which part David, the 16x9...

Also just thought about the Instant HD from Red Giant...

Sorry its been almost a year until I got back on my Mac... so that I can do things...
I tested Instant HD against FCP 5.1's own scale function (Motion Filter Setting) set to "Best" and I really didn't see any difference. Of course FCP 5.1's own scale function rendered much quicker.

You really need to work on progressive SD only though. Interlace up-scaling doesn't work very well in FCP unless you somehow de-interlace it first.

So, if you shot in 24P or 30P, then give FCP5 a try. If you shot 50i or 60i, then your best bet is probably the Teranex.
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Major Player

It'll be shot 24p... just thinking of doing something... so like to see different ways of doing it... might just go buy me the XLH1 and solve half my problems right there...
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McClurg View Post
It'll be shot 24p... just thinking of doing something... so like to see different ways of doing it... might just go buy me the XLH1 and solve half my problems right there...
Also check out the Resizer plug-in from Digital Anarchy. It does resizing, and excellent de-interlacing functions.

But as Tim says, much better to start with progressive SD footage. Also being native widescreen helps. I bought Resizer to uprez footage from my Canon XL2 that was native 24P and 16:9.

You'll never get SD to look like HD. These plug-ins let you scale the footage up without it looking really blocky and pixelated. You'll get bigger SD footage that's somewhat soft.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Also check out the Resizer plug-in from Digital Anarchy. It does resizing, and excellent de-interlacing functions.

But as Tim says, much better to start with progressive SD footage. Also being native widescreen helps. I bought Resizer to uprez footage from my Canon XL2 that was native 24P and 16:9.

You'll never get SD to look like HD. These plug-ins let you scale the footage up without it looking really blocky and pixelated. You'll get bigger SD footage that's somewhat soft.

-gb-
Thanks Greg... rather shoot hd or leave as hd then... it'll be progressive... never shot anything that wasn't with my dvx...

just doing a budgeting game... or not really a game... instead of buying the Canon for a project use that money on something etc...
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #8
New Boot

this is an FCP question

As of a few days ago, using an iMac with FCP I've been using since since 10/04, the program has been acting very strange.

For example, I scroll along the timeline to reach the beginning of my movie, and all the audio clips are out of sync with the video. And there is the audio of one clip mismatched with a completely different video clip.

After I go, "Wha?" I scroll away a little to check on another segment. When I go back to the original section, all the video and audio clips are matched up with each other (!!!) It took me awhile to realize I wasn't going crazy and there was something wrong with this program.

Has anybody experienced this before?
Philip Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Philip,

Two suggestions:
1. Start a new thread. By piggybacking on the end of this one, you don't stand much of a chance of getting a response.

2. If you haven't already, check out the Apple FCP forum at: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=939. Posting your question there will likely get you many more responses than you might get here.

If you've been using the same version of FCP since '04, that's probably what, FCP 3 or 4 maybe? Something is corrupted -- either the movie file, fcp or the OS. If you have FCP set up to do autosaves, try opening an earlier saved version of the movie file. Sometimes that'll open, so that's a clue that something you did since that version might be causing the problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite