DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 24th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Xl-1 audio into FCP

Hi All,

I have already shot some footage on my XL-1 on the 12 bit Stereo 1,2 mode. I'm having a problem getting all four tracks into FCP. I went to the Clip Settings area of the Log and Capture Window and could not really figure out what setting would be appropriate.

I set the XL-1 to Output to L+R/R. Is this right? I guess I should not have done this experiment on a project that is time sensitive.

Another problem is that my XL-1 has problems importing into FCP, so I have been using a deck. Can any deck/digital device bring in the 4 channels? The XL-1 will not do it (the footage is all fast motion).

I feel like I may have shot myself into a hole because the good audio is on Audio 2.

Dan
Old April 24th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #2
Warden

Please tell me all the specifics of your OS, Mac and versions of software you're using.

Also, FCP will not import all 4 channels in one pass. You'll have to do two passes.

Where abouts in Cincinnati are you? I lived their for about 15 years. Moved to Florida almost two years ago.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your swift reply.

I am working at a facility in downtown called Media Bridges. It is cable access TV for the city. I shoot and edit programs for area Non-Profits at no charge to them. I live in Erlanger, KY (just a few miles up the road). Where did you hail?

I am running Jaguar on a G4 tower with 512 with the Academic version of FCP. The xl-1 wont and never really could import footage (this is public equipment so it takes quite a beating). So it sounds like I'm out of luck on this one because I will need the XL-1 to do the two passes. I was unaware of this but it makes sense that you would do it twice. What is the process for the future?
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:56 AM   #4
Warden

If you are capturing from a deck you may have problems. Not all decks support 4 channel audio. Look it up in the manual or let me know the make and model and I'll look it up.

FCP 3 and previous versions can only capture 2 channels at a time, up to 99 channels. FCP 4 may solve the 2 channel limit but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Since 4 channel audio is 12 bit, 32KHz be sure and set all your project and sequence settings for the correct audio.. If you don't you'll have sync issues.

In log and capture set your preferences to capture audio and video 1 and 2. Batch capture your clips. Then set it to capture only audio 3 and 4 and capture your clips.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 29th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

haven't

Hello

I'm experiencing a similar problem: I shot footage on 12-bit audio, using the XL1's topmike on channel 1 & 2 and a boom and ECM on 3 & 4. Editing on FC Express, 15" Powerbook 1Ghz G4 with 512 MB RAM, using a Canon XM2 (aka GL2 in the US) for playback capture. This camera has an option for stereo 2 (channels 3 & 4) output, but apparently that's only for playback on the camera since FC Express only captures channels 1 & 2, even turning that into 16-bit audio once captured!

Within FC Express, I have not found the option that was mentioned in a previous post, about first capturing 1 & 2, and then doing 1 re-capture of channels 3 & 4.

Any advice highly appreciated since I would really hate having to dump all my footage (12+ hours of it) to 16-bit submasters...

thanks in advance & cheers

Michiel van der Zeeuw
Amsterdam, NL
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

PS sorry forgot to mention system specs: Mac OSX 10.2.5, Quicktime 6.2
Michiel
Old April 29th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #7
Warden

It's converting 12 bit to 16 bit because your projects and sequences were not set for 12 bit. Setting to 12 bit should have been done before you started logging and capture.

The option to capture channels 3 & 4 are absent because there is no 4 channel 16 bit sound on any DV format. If you're not too far along I would just start over with the right settings for your source material.

If yo you?ve captured a substantial amount of footage you can try importing and exporting via QuickTime. Convert all the audio back to 12 bit and change preferences etc. A lot of work and sync may also be effected. If it were me, I'd start over and set the preferences for 12 bit, 32KHz audio.

Old April 29th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #8

Hi Dan,

You can also refer to the following article on how to properly capture 12-bit audio with FCP.
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ra_to_fcp.html

Please do let us know if you have any additional questions or comments,

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 02:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I wonder if this is an example of "penny wise, pound foolish"? I bought FC Express because I wasn't sure if I would later want to upgrade to FCP. Now I am looking like a madman for the 12-bit capture settings. Maybe FC Express doesn't support this option? BTW, I did look for this before, but just couldn't find it.
No footage captured yet and not stressed with a deadline, so I have some time to figure this out!
thx again
Michiel
Old April 30th, 2003, 05:26 AM   #10
Warden

There is no 4 channel capture until you set your preferences and settings correctly. I guess I didn't state that clearly in my original post. Sorry.

Once you have everything set up to capture 12 bit, 32KHz audio the settings for capturing channel 3 & 4 will be available.

There are no audio channel 3 & 4 settings when it is set for 16 bit capture. It is impossible to have 4 channels of 16 bit with mini DV.

Old April 30th, 2003, 06:36 AM   #11
Regular Crew

the principles I understand, thanks for your patience. However, I cannot find the capture & preference settings that you mention within Final Cut Express.
The only controls I can find are "easy setup" (I have set it to DV - PAL 32 KHz) and "preferences", which is not giving me any capture settings options...
??? Is this a FC Express thing?
thanks again for your help, sorry to be such a pain!
Michiel
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

problem solved - sort of

Found out that the capture/video setting in FC Express are a lot less detailed than in FCP. As was expected, my 12-bit 32 KHz stereo pair 2 audio was captured perfectly in FCP, due to settings that just don't exist in FCE.
The only thing now is that in playback in the timeline, FCP renders the video into lowres quality before it can view it, but I guess that has to do with some more settings I have to adjust to the source material being captured.
Thanks again for your help!
Michiel
Michiel van der Zeeuw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite