DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Shake and slow motion. . .

Hi all. . .

I blew a shoot recently by shooting a scene intended for slow motion on my HVX-200. I was attempting to shoot slow motion in 24 frames (720, of course), but instead of changing the frame rate in the SCENE FILE, I changed it in the recording set up menu. This means that I now have cuts in both 720/24PN and 720/60P.

Nate Weaver suggested that I use FCPro's Cinema Tools to convert the footage from 60 to 24 in slow mo, and it definitely did the trick, but it isn't nearly as smooth as it would have been had I shot it properly (the Cinema Tools just duplicated extra frames using 3:2).

I have just purchased the latest Shake program and have heard that it actually does even better slow-motion conversions than Cinema Tools. Unfortunately, I have never fired up Shake and am really under the gun to get this video out the door, so I'm hoping that someone here can tell me if Shake really can do a better job on the slow motion conversion. If it can, I'll just have to bite the bullet. . .

Regardless, I won't make that mistake again!

Thanks very much for your help.

Stephen Pruitt
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Shake does a really good job of tweening stuff using the "Optical Flow" technology. It does better in a relatively static shot than it would in a big whoosh pan. Here's a tutorial:

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bi...ion/index.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite