DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV and Anamorphic 16:9 box?

Hey guys I'm running fcp 5.1.4 and capturing from an A1 in 24f. My question is this, in the sequence tab in the audio/video settings menu should I check the little box that says "anamorphic 16:9" ??? right above it where it says aspect ration its set to "HD (1440x1080) (16:9)" and the image already scales back to 1900x1080 on playback right?... so what is the point of this little box? I plan to author my content onto hd-dvd or blue ray eventually (edited in native hdv) and wanted to know what affect checking or not checking this box might have on the editing or final output process. Screen Grab Below >>>
Attached Thumbnails
HDV and Anamorphic 16:9 box?-fcp-scrn.tiff  
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

No, don't check the anamorphic box for HDV. AFAIK, the only time you need to check that is anamophic standard definition video. All it does is set a flag which is imbedded in the video stream and is used by some monitors/decks to distinguish between 4:3 and 16:9 standard definition video.

As you say, the HD image will automagically be scaled to 1920x1080 on playback without needing to set that flag.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Great! Thanks Boyd, thats just what I was wanting to hear : )
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite