DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Exporting for Playstation 3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/89866-exporting-playstation-3-a.html)

Gunleik Groven March 25th, 2007 07:22 AM

Exporting for Playstation 3

Anyone got a clue as to how to compress HD files for PS3 - download and play?

Gunleik

Tim Dashwood March 25th, 2007 01:25 PM

I've never done this, but I can tell you the theory.
Blu-Ray supports mpeg 2 and H264, so just exporting using either of those compressor presets should work.

However, the question is whether you can simply burn those files to a standard red-laser DVD-ROM and play from a PS3 or any other Blu-Ray player? I don't know, and I don't have a PS3 to test (even though I've been begging my wife to let me buy one - for "business" reasons.)

David Knaggs March 25th, 2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 648063)
I've never done this, but I can tell you the theory.
Blu-Ray supports mpeg 2 and H264, so just exporting using either of those compressor presets should work.

Hi Tim. I'm actually going to have an opportunity to burn a Blu-Ray disc in a week or so. A corporate client is going to lend me his new Blu-Ray burner so I can deliver the current project to him in HD (as well as SD), so I want to make sure I've got this straight. Does this mean that in theory I can export from Compressor the HD DVD assets (either MPEG-2 or H.264), import them into DVD SP, author the whole thing as a regular HD DVD project, build and format it as a disc image, then use Disk Utility to burn the Blu-Ray DVD (or, if I can't get my Mac to recognize the Blu-Ray burner, take the disc image on a hard drive over to my client's computer and burn it there)?

I haven't yet found much data about Blu-Ray DVD authoring and had formed the impression (probably erroneously, in light of your post) that Blu-Ray might require a separate authoring technology which is yet to be added to DVD SP.

Tim Dashwood March 25th, 2007 03:35 PM

I have no idea about Blu-Ray menu authoring. I haven't researched it yet myself. I would guess that you are right about Blu-Ray authoring features not being included in DVDSP. If you watch any of the Blu-Ray promos, the menu system functions very differently, with a pop up menu available while the disc is playing media. Maybe Apple will release a whole new version of DVDSP at NAB?

All I was talking about was creating a simple BD-ROM or standard DVD-ROM with simple m2t or H264 files on it.
Maybe if someone has a PS2 or BD player they can just burn a DVD-ROM with some m2t files and see what happens?

Mel Namnama March 25th, 2007 08:03 PM

Hello Guys,
I've been tinkering with a Lacie Bluray burner on a Mac Pro & MBP. My goal is to create BR discs with menus. I've encoded FCP video, Q.T. uncompressed to Bluray on the MacPro via Squeeze...very fast app. The files are then switched to a PC app.,DVDitPro HD (in boot camp, Parallels would not recognize BR burner) which allows for BR authoring with menus. I've successfully burned BluRay discs on BD-RE dics v. 2.1, but have not been able to play it on the PS3. Sony just released a firmware update enabling BD-RE discs to play...on v.3 media...I have yet to find the new BR discs. I've heard that Samsung & Panasonic BR players have no problem playing home made BR discs. For now, I've only been able to view my discs on my MBP using PowerDVDUltra. I hope Apple will address
BR Dvd authoring soon...Windows is not for me.

Chris Harris March 25th, 2007 08:44 PM

Not to get too far off topic, but Toast 8 has BD support, so you might want to give that a try for authoring and burning discs.

Mark Boreham March 26th, 2007 02:18 PM

DVD-R avchd playback

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven (Post 647884)
Anyone got a clue as to how to compress HD files for PS3 - download and play?

Gunleik

Edited:
Sorry, i was in the wrong forum!

David Knaggs March 26th, 2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 648148)
Maybe Apple will release a whole new version of DVDSP at NAB?

Yes, I was thinking that Blu-Ray support is likely to be released at NAB (a full FCS upgrade hopefully, rather than FCP 6 by itself - although there's no guarantee about FCP 6 being released at NAB, of course). After all, Blu-Ray is now upon us! (And good luck with your PS3 pitch to your wife, Tim!)

And thanks, Mel and Chris for the extra info.