DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 25th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting for Playstation 3

Anyone got a clue as to how to compress HD files for PS3 - download and play?

Gunleik
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

I've never done this, but I can tell you the theory.
Blu-Ray supports mpeg 2 and H264, so just exporting using either of those compressor presets should work.

However, the question is whether you can simply burn those files to a standard red-laser DVD-ROM and play from a PS3 or any other Blu-Ray player? I don't know, and I don't have a PS3 to test (even though I've been begging my wife to let me buy one - for "business" reasons.)
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I've never done this, but I can tell you the theory.
Blu-Ray supports mpeg 2 and H264, so just exporting using either of those compressor presets should work.
Hi Tim. I'm actually going to have an opportunity to burn a Blu-Ray disc in a week or so. A corporate client is going to lend me his new Blu-Ray burner so I can deliver the current project to him in HD (as well as SD), so I want to make sure I've got this straight. Does this mean that in theory I can export from Compressor the HD DVD assets (either MPEG-2 or H.264), import them into DVD SP, author the whole thing as a regular HD DVD project, build and format it as a disc image, then use Disk Utility to burn the Blu-Ray DVD (or, if I can't get my Mac to recognize the Blu-Ray burner, take the disc image on a hard drive over to my client's computer and burn it there)?

I haven't yet found much data about Blu-Ray DVD authoring and had formed the impression (probably erroneously, in light of your post) that Blu-Ray might require a separate authoring technology which is yet to be added to DVD SP.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Wrangler

I have no idea about Blu-Ray menu authoring. I haven't researched it yet myself. I would guess that you are right about Blu-Ray authoring features not being included in DVDSP. If you watch any of the Blu-Ray promos, the menu system functions very differently, with a pop up menu available while the disc is playing media. Maybe Apple will release a whole new version of DVDSP at NAB?

All I was talking about was creating a simple BD-ROM or standard DVD-ROM with simple m2t or H264 files on it.
Maybe if someone has a PS2 or BD player they can just burn a DVD-ROM with some m2t files and see what happens?
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Guys,
I've been tinkering with a Lacie Bluray burner on a Mac Pro & MBP. My goal is to create BR discs with menus. I've encoded FCP video, Q.T. uncompressed to Bluray on the MacPro via Squeeze...very fast app. The files are then switched to a PC app.,DVDitPro HD (in boot camp, Parallels would not recognize BR burner) which allows for BR authoring with menus. I've successfully burned BluRay discs on BD-RE dics v. 2.1, but have not been able to play it on the PS3. Sony just released a firmware update enabling BD-RE discs to play...on v.3 media...I have yet to find the new BR discs. I've heard that Samsung & Panasonic BR players have no problem playing home made BR discs. For now, I've only been able to view my discs on my MBP using PowerDVDUltra. I hope Apple will address
BR Dvd authoring soon...Windows is not for me.
Mel Namnama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Not to get too far off topic, but Toast 8 has BD support, so you might want to give that a try for authoring and burning discs.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Tourist

DVD-R avchd playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven View Post
Anyone got a clue as to how to compress HD files for PS3 - download and play?

Gunleik
Edited:
Sorry, i was in the wrong forum!
Mark Boreham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Maybe Apple will release a whole new version of DVDSP at NAB?
Yes, I was thinking that Blu-Ray support is likely to be released at NAB (a full FCS upgrade hopefully, rather than FCP 6 by itself - although there's no guarantee about FCP 6 being released at NAB, of course). After all, Blu-Ray is now upon us! (And good luck with your PS3 pitch to your wife, Tim!)

And thanks, Mel and Chris for the extra info.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite