DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 11th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Tourist

exporting jpg stills from hdv clips

I'm sure this is a silly question, but I'm having problems finding the answer...

I have some clips in fcp that I captured from my xh-a1 shot at 1080i60. The clips look fine on the screen, but when I go to export a still image it ends up looking squished. I've seen mention of fixing this with photoshop, but I don't own photoshop. Is there no way to export to jpg and have it look right to post on the web?

Thanks!
John Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo John! You really do need Photoshop or something similar, once you have it you'll start finding lots of uses, like making titles for example. I'm sure there are some shareware/freeware options, but take a look at Photoshop Elements. It's a very powerful program that can do most of the things the full version is capable of. List price is $80 but you can probably find it for less: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/

To answer your question, HDV 1080 is "anamorphic" which means the image is "squished" when recorded to tape, then stretched back into the correct proportion when viewed. In photoshop (or elements) you need to resize/resample your stills to the correct proportions such as 1920x1080 or 1440x808 or any other size where the width is 1.78 times the height.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Make sure you save them as 1920x1080, since I do a LOT of stills exporting froom HDV, if you're working with HDV 1080i. Same with DVCPro HD 1080i (and 720p needs to be 1280x720).

Heath
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #4
Major Player

John,

Exactly what Heath and Boyd stated (I always resize my 1440x1080 to 1920x1080). Also if your source is Interlaced be sure to use the Video filter in Photoshop (an excellent program by the way and well worth the money) and select de-interlace. You can get some very decent still images from HDV (and I also sometimes use the Image Doctor (jpeg repair) plug for PS to help clean up the image.

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Major Player

And order matters: do the de-interlace first, then resize from 1440x1080 to 1920x1080.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

If you're de-interlacing HDV footage, select upper (odd) field first.

heath
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Tourist

Thanks for all the help. I discovered that I can resize the images with capture nx, which I already own. I don't see how to de-interlace with nx, but since these are just a few stills I'm putting on my web site for family and friends to look at, I don't think it matters that much.

If anyone cares to look, the site is http://eupher.com/fox

and contains some pics of a family of red fox that are living under my front porch. My favorite one is dsc_0034, near the bottom of the page. The very last two images (spy and nurse) are the stills I got from video.

Thanks again for all the help!
John Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi John,

After getting frustrated with the de-squishing process found in FCP exports, I started using QT for my stills.

Quicktime Player's "export still image" option makes for a nice, quick&dirty frame grab.

You can use exported FCP QT files, or the raw captured QT files.

I'm not too sure if the end image is of as high a quality as the Photoshop/Deinterlace process would produce. But it does look good, and works great for casual applications.

(in fact, I used this method to produce frame grabs to be blown up to 3 foot or so on a banner. I was amazed at how well they stood up. Of course, the closer you inspect, the less amazed you are, but from 4-5 feet out, it didn't look too shabby at all.)

-james
James Swirsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite