DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing to a SATA drive

I have a MBPro 2.33 and am using FCP5.1.4.

I was thinking of purchasing the 500GB LaCie d2 HD SATA2 7200 RPM.

But how would I capture from my cameras (PanaDVX100, Canon HV20) to the drive if there's no firewire? Could I capture to the SATA drive by connecting the camera to either the laptop's FW port or a FW drive connected to the laptop?

And can material from other FW drives connected to the FW port be easily copied over?

best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

you need a controller card. I would suggest this one http://macgurus.com/productpages/sata/Tempo-E34P.php

it is the SONNET TEMPO E342P Express34 card. It allows you to connect your SATA drive to your laptop. I have one and love it, although I have heard that the card from cal-digit is faster. only downside to the caldigit is that it only has one esata port and the sonnet has 2.
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Yup, just don't do what I did and forget to download the driver for your respective 34slot card or you'll be looking all over trying to troubleshoot why your macbook pro doesn't recognize your brand new hot LaCie Drive..
Larry Rodman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite