DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Deleting Files From FCP3/New Mac User (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/9170-deleting-files-fcp3-new-mac-user.html)

Paul Fletcher May 1st, 2003 01:28 AM

Deleting Files From FCP3/New Mac User

I have recently purchased a G4 and FCP3 and I cannot figure out how to delete media files from the program and free up space. It is different than the PC's I have been working with. The manual isn't much help and I am not sure what to do can anyone help me out with this? If the solution is too long for the forum, then you can email me at pfletch@adelphia.net. Thanks, I am quite frustrated and running out of space!

Jeff Donald May 1st, 2003 05:49 AM

Are you trying to delete specific files (clips) or unused media in projects or sequences? The media manager will allow you to delete unused clips, but preserve the needed clips. The folder clips are stored in can be moved to the trash and the trash emptied. This deletes all the items in a folder.

Please post more specific details and I can outline the steps. You can also use the help files on your Mac. They provide details to subjects not found in the manual.

John Locke May 1st, 2003 06:57 AM

Paul,

Click here to see a book that you can either order or pick up easily that tells you how to delete unused materials and how to archive project materials. On top of that, it's just a great FCP book overall.

Paul Fletcher May 1st, 2003 01:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Basically, I am trying to figure out how to delete all of the individual clips that I have in a project, and then the project itself. I am mystified. Obviously, those clips show up in the browser, separated into bins, when the project is opened. So, going through the steps in the media manager I have tried deleting those clips and I want to delete the entire project as well. Do I have to go into the finder and find all of the clips associated with the project and drag them all into the "Trash,"(after going through the media manager?) or is there a better way of achieving this. I am used to just dragging a file in Windows to the trash, emptying it, and it is gone. I am unfamiliar with the protocols for deleting the files, the associated media, and the project name out of FCP3 and Mac systems. I am also not sure how I can tell that I have done it successfully, because I don't know where to look to see if I have freed up space on the drive. Thank you for the help. I hope I have been specific enough in my reply and appreciate your advice.

Paul Fletcher May 1st, 2003 01:41 PM

Also, the project is old and I want to delete it from FCP3 and clean all of it off the HD. I won't be using any more of the media associated with the project or the project itself. I just need the room and don't know what I am doing. Thanks for the help!

Jeff Donald May 1st, 2003 02:54 PM

The easiest way to start learning your way around a Mac is to go to the finder and start opening the folders. FCP has created a series of folders.

The drive (or partition) FCP creates the folders on is picked in preferences. The hierarchy should look something like this:

Drive>Final Cut Pro Documents>then 6 folders as follows, audio render files, autosave vault, capture scratch, render files, thumbnail cache files, Waveform cache files.

Open each folder and drag to trash (or Apple Key and "A" key selects all, then Apple Key - Delete Key puts them in trash) empty trash.

If you can't find the folders, from the finder press Apple Key and "F" key. This brings up the find function and do a search for those folders names. It will also show the location of the folders.

If you delete the folders, FCP will recreate them when you open the program the next time.

Paul Fletcher May 1st, 2003 03:48 PM

Jeff,
Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. I have not gone through this process yet but I will try it out today and let you know how it works. Again, I really appreciate the help as it has been frustrating to comb through the FCP3 manuals and get little help. The main thing is that I have to remember that this is a totally different system from the PC and throw everything out the window and start from scratch. Thanks again.

Ken Tanaka May 1st, 2003 04:04 PM

Paul,
I feel your disorientation. In 2000 I came from a long PC background to the Mac environment with no meaningful exposure to the Mac OS whatsoever. In brief, what it took me a while to learn was just how elegantly simple the Mac OS is compared with the registry-centric, relatively paternalistic Windows environment. For example, if you want to uninstall something on the Mac, you just delete it. (This revelation alone took me several days to discover. Doh!) But, in fact, I think you'll find that Windows has been slowly creeping toward a Mac OS-like directory (aka folder) structure. Instead of a "Programs" default application destination in Windows you have "Applications" in Mac OS. Both has a "Users" area. Etc.

BTW, don't forget to empty the Trash after deleting files. Just like Windows.

Paul Fletcher May 1st, 2003 04:54 PM

Ken,
Thanks for the reply. I can say that OS X has been easier to navigate than any of the previous OS for the Mac that I have encountered. I just have to get used to the different operating environments. If I can get the hang of this, I am sure that I will not regret buying the Mac. My biggest problem is the issue of file management in FCP. Well, I will try all of the suggestions and let everyone know whether they worked or if I am still confused. I have to say that I am a visual learner when it comes to this and I have to remember the steps through repetition. I'll get it soon enough and I appreciate all of the help with this matter. Thank you so much!

Paul Fletcher May 5th, 2003 05:29 PM

Thank you to everyone that replied to my post. I finally figured it out and now know that you have to not only "clear" the browser and then save changes in FCP3, but also have to use Sherlock to find the actual media files on the HD. Once I did that, I dragged everything associated with project "X" into the Trash and proceeded to delete it. After restarting the computer, I opened up FCP3 and searched for the projects, not there. I used the finder to look for the files that I had deleted earlier, not there! So, in essence it was a success. Now, can any of you tell me how to find a graphical or numerical representation of how much used/unused space is on my HD? I looked in the About/Apple pulldown and preferences, but no luck. Thanks for all the help guys!

Ken Tanaka May 5th, 2003 07:00 PM

Just open the drive in the Finder and it will show you the available space.

Jeff Donald May 5th, 2003 07:25 PM

Click once on the drive icon (it will darken, to show it is selected), press the Apple Key and the "I" Key. The info window will open up. If the General display is not showing (Icon of drive, size, capacity etc.) then click the arrow once and you'll see what your looking for. When your done, close the window.

The info window is also used for other things like indexing the drive, changing the icon, and changing permissions. Until you're more familiar with the OS I would not recommend you change permissions.

The info window also works on folders and documents, applications etc. Again, until you're more familiar with the OS just stick to the basics.

Paul Fletcher May 5th, 2003 11:28 PM

Jeff,
Thanks for the tip. I am starting to get used to the OS X system and realize that I have to think outside the box when working in this environment as opposed to the PC I am used to. It's like driving a car, some are different but in the end they all get you down the road. Again, I really appreciate the help and look forward to further discussions in this forum and the entire community.