Any good compressor settings for feature movie--latest Final Cut Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 19th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Any good compressor settings for feature movie--latest Final Cut Pro

I try using the 16:9 fast encode at 90 minutes to go to DVD, but the file is ENORMOUS. Anything custom you guys can recommend?

Thanks,

heath

ps-I don't use high quality--still seems buggy.
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Hiya,

What size do you mean by ENORMOUS?
What's the running time of the feature?

I only ever use high quality, as the file size will be similar but better rendered. Personally I've never had any bugs with it. Ever. (Not even the ''can't connect to background task bug'') Just lucky I guess on my original Dual 2GHZ G5.

I make DVD's every single day for clients, in fact 3 different discs already this morning!)

Anyway, depending on the length of the file, I would make an MPEG2 template with everything turned up full (Bit rate, quality, etc.) Try that on the video and see what file size you get. If it's around 4GB you should be able to add a reasonable bit rate AC-3 track to it. There's lots of bit rate calculators around to, but I prefer to try a render as the VBR can always mess up calculations in my experience.

If the final DVD is a tad too big and if it's not a super critical job, I'll author it as a dual layer disc, then recompress it in DVD2OneX.

Also the new encoder in Toast 8 is really nice, you could try that too.

Duncan.
Duncan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
Anything custom you guys can recommend?
Never had a problem. When you say "fast encode at 90 minutes", do you mean your feature is 90 minutes, or is the compressor preset you chose the "DVD 16:9 90 minutes" one?

If your feature is 90 minutes or less, both the "fast encode" and the (much better, and unfortunately also much slower) two-pass presets for 90 minutes (without any modifications) should produce decent MPEG results that leave ample space for AC3 sound.

- Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite