Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 13th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #16
Major Player

sorry that was.....

Curtis not Chris. sorry bout that!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #17
Warden

I don't think Curtis was pointing his comments at you Dean. Curtis is not impressed with Apple hardware, to say the least. I think it would be safe to say, he was hoping for higher numbers.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #18
Major Player

Jeff....

thanks - just blew off a little steam but you must admit bus speed is a relevant question. I haven't seen anything on that question regarding the new IBM chip. Was hoping someone had an answer!
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:20 PM   #19
Warden

None of the rumor sites are in agreement. I've numbers from 200MHz to 450MHz. This is one area that most people don't pay much attention to. It not as glamorous as processor speed. If I see anything, I'll be sure and post it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #20

Yes Dean, Jeff is correct. Sorry.

Hopefully soon I will be impressed. I've seen hype similar to this for past machines and just didn't see much improvement in reality. The difference between my old 450mhz G4 and my new dual 1Ghz G4 is definitely noticable, but not enough to make me say "wow". Just "that's neat". But someday there's gotta be a kickass breakthrough that'll hopefully make me change my mind. I love Apple's software and I would love to see it running on a screamingly fast machine.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:36 AM   #21
Major Player

thanks guys....

hope something good comes out of this new chip. Curtis is right. The difference between the G4s is not that impressive. Had a good talk with a top chip designer about 4 years ago and that is all he talked about. Back then, he said, the key was the bus speed. I'm inclined to agree with him. Chip power is important but if the tube getting the info to/from the disk to chip to whatever is small, it causes a choke. Of course, there's more to it. Multi-tasking is also a big factor. Well, we'll see.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #22
Major Player

There is a very detailed report on arstechnica. They claim a front-side bus of around 450 (1/4 of the processor speed) but capable of taking full advantage of the DDR RAM.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:55 AM   #23
Major Player

In this week's "Businessweek" IBM admits to the 64 bit 970 chips and says that they are compatible with Apple.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite