DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:49 PM   #1
Warden

New G4's coming soon!

New G4's based on the IBM 970 may ship earlier than expected. There is talk that single processor, running at 1.4GHz may ship within the next 2 weeks. Dual Processor units (with speeds approaching 2 GHz) will be unveiled at WWDC in June. The first units will not have 64 bit processing enabled, it will require OS X 10.3 which will not ship until the end of summer. It is thought that if you buy a new machine, 10.3 will be free when it's ready.

Apple employees are being offered huge discounts on current G4's as a means of lowering inventory. The discounts also apply to 17" iMacs and they may be upgraded too.

If your thinking of upgrading, I would proceed with caution. New Power Macs are coming, it's only a matter of time now. So, even if you don't want a new 970 based unit, existing G4's will be discounted soon.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #2
New Boot

New G4s

How long do you anticipate until the release ? Also what kind of prices will you see say on the dual 1.42 and the dual 1.25 units ? Would it be worth waiting for the new G4s. I am in the process of buying a new G4
Chris Lucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:00 AM   #3
Warden

The new Power Macs should all be on sale by the beginning of July. The lower speed units may be announced in a week or two. The announcement may also wait until WWDC, the last week of June.

Either way it is a win, win situation if you can wait. If you have the budget the new units will be available. If you go with the older models (the ones presently available) you'll save hundreds by waiting. Apple does not price protect, so if you buy now, there is no future refund or discount. Typical discounts are usually in the $300 to $500 range.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #4
Contributor

Thanks for the heads up Jeff.

I am also looking to pick up another machine very shortly (for both immediate project needs and to utilize a budget that needs to be spent before end of June.) How much is one forsaking by picking up a current DP machine (ie - 1.25GHz) instead of waiting for the 970 models?

As for holding off on even the purchase of current models, should one just be on the lookout for discounts in the main section of the online Apple store or do these sort of things usually end up on their "Specials" page?

Any additional insights appreciated - thanks again,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #5
Warden

The price drops on existing products usually occur within two weeks of the introduction or announcement of new products. The price reductions are usually in the $300 to $500 range, depending on the speed and feature set. The price drops will be reflected across the board at all retailers, not just the Apple Store.

I should have prefaced all my earlier remarks with, this is all speculation and rumor at this point. However, this type of information leaks out all the time. You just have to know your sources and who is reliable and who is not. But it is still just speculation as to the timetable etc. One thing that is known is the discounts for Apple Employees. They are being offered substantial discounts on existing products. This can only mean that in the immediate future, new Power Macs will be shipping.

The speculation is the new machines will contain IBM 970 processors and will take Apple Power Macs to new levels. The new Power Macs are thought to be starting at about 1.5GHz and the top machine will offer dual processor 2GHz chips (or near 2GHz). The first of the year should see new Power Macs with speeds approaching 2.5GHZ or higher. How do we know so much about these new chips and their speeds? IBM is not as quiet as Apple with new products. Apple is not the only customer for these new chips. They will be used in the Auto Industry etc.

Apple is also working on expanding it's server line with these new processors. Cost will vary with configuration but a starting price of $10,000 is expected. A top of the line 64 processor unit is expected to weigh in around $70,000.

Old May 5th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #6
Contributor

Thanks Jeff.
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Apple - please port the kernel to X-84 instruction set

Please, please, please

Adopt the Intel or AMD processors. Forget Motorola and IBM's garbage CPU's.

I would pay $5k for a dual 3 gig cpu Apple workstation.

When will Apple make the switch? Damn this is frustrating, Apple has great designs, great software, great innovation and crap hardware.

Why? Oh dear God. Why?
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #8
Warden

Apple has pretty much sealed that door for a few more years. The 970 is an off shoot of one of IBM's big server processors. Nothing garbage about it. This is not another G3, or G4 processor.

As to their hardware being crap. I disagree. It's just not for you. Apple doesn't need to be all things to all people. They have a market niche they are very successful in. They don't have to be the biggest or even close to be profitable and successful. Apple isn't out to be the challenger to MS any more.

For the last ten years I have supported my family and lifestyle quite nicely on production capability based around Apple computers. It does the job and each day I am thankful to own the Apple computers I do.

Old May 5th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I love apple products

I just can't justify paying more for a slower proprietary system versus a cheaper faster upgradeable computer.

I hope the IBM processor is all that you claim it to be. Maybe I will make the switch then. fingers crossed.

Mark
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #10
Warden

More updates on new machines, three new computers. Single processor running at 1.4GHz and two dual processors running 1.6GHz and 1.8 GHz.

Benchmark between the 1.4GHz PPC 970 and current 1.4GHz G4's indicate speed improvements between 87% and 254% (tests included Photoshop, FCP, Maya renders). Not bad for a single processor vs. dual processor.

Apple is not going to wait for the release of OS 10.3 and the implementation of 64bit processing. Why delay the introduction when you?ll get a 50% speed increase right out of the box. The dual processors should really scream.

Here is the link to the French site reporting all this. Some translations are provided.

Old May 5th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #11
Contributor

Just read through the linked page,

Unreal... (said as jaw hangs open)

A single processor 970 matching, let alone whomping the current dual G4's (even on DP aware apps like FCP) is mind blowing. If true, I think I'll have to keep the pocketbook in park until these new machines are announced/released.

So Jeff, all of the little birdies you've come across put the announce (and possibly some release) dates between now and the end of June?

Great news,
Clayton
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #12
Regular Crew

If the performance is relatively proportional with other software ...

... I can see myself switching to an Apple with FCP soon. I can't wait to hear more on this subject.

July is just around the corner.

Mark

is it July yet?
is it July yet?
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #13
Major Player

Looprumors (www.looprumors.com) reports that a manufacturing facility in Taiwan now has supplies of 1.4 gHz and 1.6 gHz processors in house and are expected the 1.8 gHz processors shortly. The same article said that IBM was ramping up production on 2 gHz processors for late this summer. Based on volume and previous rumors it would suggest that the new G4s would be a single processor 1.4 and dual processor 1.6 and 1.8.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:18 PM   #14
Major Player

Bus speeds ....

I understand the bus speeds on the new IBM chips will be somewhere around 200 to 250?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #15
Major Player

Gee Chris.....

I don't understand what that means - does the question bore you or do you not think that bus speed is an important factor in computing?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite