uprezzing 720 to 1080 for slow mo, or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 26th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #1
New Boot

uprezzing 720 to 1080 for slow mo, or not?

Hi everyone,
Probably an old question...hoping for someone with some new experience to answer.

I'm shooting a short and I have a few shots to do in slow motion. As I am a quality freak, I'm wondering if it's wiser to shoot the whole project at 720P, or just uprez the 720PN slow motion to 1080P?

PS...Shooting with an HVX200 that only shoots the slow motion at 720PN

and I'm in PAL LAND

Just how much quality would I be sacrificing shooting the whole project at 720P?

final destination is TV, DVD no film print
Jonathan Lennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Nothing will be gained by uprezzing 720p to 1080p...nothing. If anything you will lose quality.

Stick with 720p...shoot 720p60 for fantastic slow motion.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #3
New Boot

thanks shane...but perhaps you didn't understand...the idea was not to gain quality, it was to match the rest of the footage in 1080P. I wanted to shoot some slow motion shots, but the majority of what I'm going to shoot is normal speed. And..Pal...Shane...so it's 50P. Do you think it's better to shoot the whole project at 720? That's the question...and of course it's subjective. The point is to get the very best quality possible, over all.
thanks
Jonathan Lennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Major Player

You didn't say that you already shot footage at 1080p, just questioned whether you should shoot 720p for the slow motion, or 1080p.

Can you shoot 1080p50? I am not familiar with the PAL functions of that camera. I am only familiar with the 720p functions. And I do know that I can use the DVCPRO HD frame rate converter to convert 720p60 into great 24p slow motion. However, I know that PAL people can't do this.

So I need to bow out of this, as I have no experience with PAL.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #5
New Boot

Actually I don't think the pal thing is so important...just it's 50, not 60 so it's a little less bang in the slow motion department.

I have not shot yet....I'm just trying to understand if the upsized material will look good enough to mix...or if should suffer the overall loss and just shoot all at 720P
Jonathan Lennard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite