Zooming in on HDV in DV sequence? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 26th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Zooming in on HDV in DV sequence?

I keep trying to zoom in on my HDV in a DV sequence (since HDV is so much larger) But the interlacing is horrible! I thought the interlacing issue was mentioned here before, but are there any thoughts on this? Even if I don't zoom, downconverting seems to have interlacing issues.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Wrangler

I have seen the same thing in FCP also. I tried dropping my HDV sequence into a 16:9 DV sequence and rendered. Using digital cinema desktop on my 21" LCD LCD monitor the sequence looked fine. But sending the DV over firewire through my DVD recorder to a 22" widescreen LCD via component video looked terrible. There were, as you describe, lots of strange interlace artifacts which made the footage completely unusable.

However, exporting the sequence as a Qucktime DV file gave acceptable results. I haven't spent much time exploring this, but it seems like FCP just can't do a very good job scaling HD to SD. I know that older versions of FCP were not good at scaling image, but thought maybe that had been fixed in FCP 5. Guess not...

So I'd suggest that you export your DV sequence as a Quicktime movie and see if you get better results. Rendering takes awhile on my dual G5 2.5ghz machine... I think a 1 hour sequence took about 4 hours.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
So I'd suggest that you export your DV sequence as a Quicktime movie and see if you get better results. Rendering takes awhile on my dual G5 2.5ghz machine... I think a 1 hour sequence took about 4 hours.
Export the edited DV sequence? It still looks bad, unless you mean to say export/compress the hdv before I edit it in the DV project -that I have not tried.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Wrangler

I took my edited DV sequence and exported as a Quicktime movie (widescreen DV) and it looked better than printing to video. I didn't do any zooming however. Your mileage may vary. I imagine you could get better results using Compressor, but I am still baffled by that program...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Major Player

The only way I've been able to use HDV clips in a DV timeline is if I go to "Sequence"..."Settings"...and set "Field Dominance" to "none". It'll clean things right up. It doesn't seem to affect your DV footage much either. The HDV stuff will look like it's de-interlaced now. It's MUCH, MUCH sharper and cleaner though.

I'm not sure why any of this is, but I agree, FCP doesn't handle the upper field to lower field conversion very well.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite