Which Mac Pro conf.? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which Mac Pro conf.?

Well it seems there is several million different ways to configure the new mac pro. I was wondering if anyone has any recomendations? I'll be starting out editing a documentary i've been shooting the last six months. Just trying to spend the minimum here since with this new computer one can easily spend in excess of six grand. I won't be working with so many special effects for the moment. I imagine this would make a difference as to how i decide to configure. Thanks,

Jim
Jim Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Mac Pro

If you have to make a $$ choice, go for more RAM vs CPU speed (unless you'll be doing a lot of Long GOP codecs). I got 2GB and I also got the X1900 videocard with 512MB RAM. works great
Dick Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:02 AM   #3
New Boot

If you are going to really show the Macs stuff, go for a setup with 4GB. Aqua (Mac's OSX GUI) is a RAM hog, and it likes it. A lot.

The Mac Pro I am eye-balling is 2-2.66GHz Processors, 4GB of RAM, 500GB Hard drive, and 2 NVIDIA 7300GT Video cards.
Kevin Laster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Jim,

I think the two main questions are 1.) What will you be using this for now? and 2.) What will you be using this for down the line?

If you typically get a new machine every two years or so then question two isn't all that relevant and you don't need to worry about long term very much. But if you are the type that keeps a machine until you run it into the ground then future flexibility is more of a consideration.

I'm looking at getting a new machine soon too and I'm flip-floping between getting an "good" machine now (2.66ghz 4-core) and just replacing it w/another "good" machine in 2 years or so getting a "great" machine now (8-core) and replacing it in 4 years or so.

Kevin,
Just out of curiosity, why aren't you getting the ATI Radeon X1900 XT? It's only $100 more than the dual 7300GTs and it's "recommended" for both Color and Motion where as the 7300GTs are only "minimum spec"?

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, this does help a bit with my decisions on this. Andrew, I wish I could answer this question for myself more clearly, but i'm not 100% on just how i'll be using the computer in the future. i would hope to be editing on regular basis quality documentaries that i've shot, but i could just as easily be editing some weddings also (i hope not!) i think i will go ahead and go for the 4GB ram. Does anyone have any ideas about using external hard drives?
i was told this is a good idea, keeping important footage on an external. Thanks guys.
Jim Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Trustee

Jim,

The MacPro's internal drives are mounted on "sleds" that are simple to remove and replace. (Like 1 minute simple!) There's really no need to pay the cost of external power supplies and case electronics if all you want to do is back up data. Just buy an extra drive now and then, pop it in, back up what you like, and then remove that drive and put it on a shelf.

The only situation where external Firewire drives are useful is if you need to work with extra data while you're system is online. Then hot-swapable drives are a marginal benefit - but outside of a high volume operation with jobs coming and going constantly, it's not really important.

For what it's worth.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #7
New Boot

I just saw this thread, buy everything from Apple.com bare bones (except for their vid cards). Get the rest, ram, hard drives, etc. from sites like Other World Computing (www.macsales.com), Tiger Direct, New Egg, etc. You'll save a TON. I got 2gig ram, 400gb HDD and a Shuttle Express for $350. You can't come close to that on Apple.com, with or without a tower.
Jules Ruez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite