Powerbook vs. PowerMac vs. PC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 9th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #16
Warden

The first generation of IBM 970 processors will not be suitable for laptop use. They will produce too much heat and use too much power. After the first of the year, new chips developed for the laptops should hit the market. At that time I suspect all the laptops will be updated.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:50 AM   #17
New Boot

Jeff -

Noone really knows at this point, but its fun to speculate. :-)

In any case, I'm getting a new PB this summer, so a 970 would be a bonus.

For some interesting commentary on the 970, check out this from Ars Technica:

http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/02q2/ppc970/ppc970-1.html

According to this, a 1.2GHz would dissipate only 19W, compared to 30W for a GHz G4e chip. So its possible that the 970 could be used in a notebook from the get-go. Coupled with the new Al case (better heat dissipation compared to Ti), and its looking pretty feasible IMHO.

BTW, the next installment of the Ars commentary is coming soon.
Ben Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 01:36 PM   #18
Major Player

My biggest problem with Apple has always been price. I recently got an HP Pavilion 2.0 G P4 with half a gig of RAM refurbished from Tiger for $1,200. I have been having a great time editing with Vegas without being tied down to my office.

Of course if you want to edit with FCP, you are limited to Apple. If not you can buy a lot more performance for fewer dollars with a good PC laptop.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:21 PM   #19
Warden

The performance factor is only part of the equation. Work flow is more important in many respects. I edit with a 450 MHz dual processor G4 and it's plenty fast for work applications. If you want to play games then you need high end video cards and speed for the 3D graphics, textures etc. But for editing on a pro level speed isn't everything, it's only a part of the formula. Granted, Apple computers are not for everyone, neither are BMW's or Mercedes Benz's. If price is an obstacle, then you're right in choosing PC's for your work.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:27 PM   #20
Major Player

"If price is an obstacle, then you're right in choosing PC's for your work."

I just hate being overcharged. I have worked both on Macs and PCs and I think the interface issues are pretty much behind us. It is a shame that FCP is Mac only, though with Vegas and Avid there are other good choices.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #21
Warden

Overcharged is a relative term. I've never felt overcharged buying Apple's products. I consider them a great value. I appreciate their design and workmanship and place a value on it. My Power Mac will be 3 years old in July, has never been upgraded (hardware) and works fine for all my editing needs. To me, that's a great value. But everyone has different needs and expectations. Mine are more than satisfied with Apple's products.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite