DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Powerbook vs. PowerMac vs. PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/9316-powerbook-vs-powermac-vs-pc.html)

Chris Kraft May 5th, 2003 03:56 PM

Powerbook vs. PowerMac vs. PC

I know that this discussion has gone around and around, but I think I have finally had it with my present NLE setup (Intel P4 2.2, 1 gig ram, 60gb HD1, 120gb HD2, Premiere, Photoshop, etc...).
I'm looking for a Mac system now, just not sure which one. With a budget of no more than $4000.00, what should I go with? Mobility would be a nice bonus, since I would do some stuff during work. I mainly do weddings, corporate training videos, video postcard/greetings, etc... Thanks for you help

P.S. - would I notice a big difference in speed with either Mac setup and using FCP vs. my PC with Premiere? Thanks.

Ken Tanaka May 5th, 2003 04:17 PM

Hello Chris,
(I'm sure that you know that you have the name of a famous former NASA figure.)

If you need mobility a PowerBook will fill the bill for you. They are excellent, particularly the new drool-worthy 17 PowerBook. If possible, be sure to set aside some of your budget for a good external Firewire drive to use as your media drive. I often edit pieces with my PowerBook (1GHz) and FCP 3.

Chris Kraft May 5th, 2003 04:40 PM

Hi Ken,

thank you very much for your help. I think I will go with the new 17inch Powerbook with 1gig of RAM. I was also thinking of a LaCie external FireWire 120 drive. With my current PC setup and using Premiere, will I be getting the same results or better with the Powerbook using FCP?

Ken Tanaka May 5th, 2003 04:55 PM

I really don't know how the performance will compare. But I feel confident in supposing that you will get much more enjoyment from your editing. My speculation is based on my experience with Premiere on a PC (years ago), my experience with FCP for the past few years and your remark, "I think I have finally had it with my present NLE setup...".

I think you're in for a treat, especially with that 17" Powerbook.

Chris Kraft May 5th, 2003 05:01 PM

Thanks again Ken, you've made my decision easier.

Simon Plissi May 6th, 2003 06:34 PM

Not that you sound like you need any more persuading, but just to second Ken... the PowerBooks are mighty fine. I could wax lyrical about how well the perform all day. I've the same as Ken (I believe), a 1GHz TiBook with SuperDrize. It really is a great Mac. Just had my first look at the new 17" and wow, what a screen! I still like the compactness of my 15" TiBook as well as the look and feel, but the 17" is mighty fine. I sure wouldn't say no to one.

The Lacie is a nice drive too. If you can try and get the 200Gig model. Don't think there's a great deal in it price wise and the main advantage is it has 8MB of ram instead of the 4 or 2 in the smaller models. But don't sweat it if you can't, the 120 is still more than fast enough and still plenty of space.

Another low cost add on definitely worth considering is the Contour ShuttlePro.

I too used to use Premier on the Mac many years ago and found it a dog. Thank heavens FCP arrived just at the right time. FCP3 is very good and FCP4 looks great. You will not be dissapointed. They work so well on the Mac in OS X, as well as Photoshop and other apps. I've been using X daily since the first public betas and I honestly belive there is no better platform for this kind of work. (biased maybe, but based on experience with both Mac and PCs.) It just all feels right. Still makes me smile!

You will not be disappointed.

Chris Kraft May 7th, 2003 09:16 AM

Thanks Simon -

I think I will go with the 200 for the increase in cache. I've seen not only this forum group, but in others, about the possibility of some new PowerBooks coming in June-July? I think I might hold out...Any other confirmations on this?

Also, can you upgrade the processors on PowerBooks?

Thanks again everyone.

Simon Plissi May 7th, 2003 12:01 PM

Chris,

Well, ususally there's a likely hood of an upgrade around Macworld time, though last year I belive the upgrades came a month or two after for the PowerBooks. This is a tough one, more so than usual since the 17" has only really started shipping in quantity, even though it was demoed last January.

I doubt the PowerBooks will see the new IBM chip we're all hearing about from sources other than Apple. Apple really need to upgrade their towers and will more than likely concerntrate on these first. You might be able to get a whiff of were things are going after next months WWDC. So at least wait till then.

And I don't think anyone has ever produced an upgrade for the G4 PowerBooks.

Chris Kraft May 7th, 2003 04:11 PM

Thanks Simon -

Robert Poulton May 7th, 2003 05:12 PM

Chris,
well it sounds like you dont want your computer you got there. What type of computer is it? Video and sound card? I'm just wondering if you did all that you could to your computer to get it run those programs. What OS too?
You going to sell that system? hehe.

Rob:D

Chris Kraft May 7th, 2003 05:37 PM

Robert -

it's an Alienware DV2002 custom build. P4 2.2ghz, 1gb ram, 60gb main drive, 120gb video drive, 64mb Nvidia (not sure model) videocard, Sony DRU-500 DVD+/-R/RW drive. I'm running Windows 2000, Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator and Macromedia Flash 5.

I bought it over 1 year ago. I wanted a PowerMac G4, but was scared to make the switch from a PC. I've been using PC's all my life (except grade school where we used Apple IIe's, IIc's and IIgs's, if those aren't a throwback from the past).

I think now talking with a few people and also those that helped me on this site (thanks Ken and Simon) I am ready to make that leap. My only concern now is can I wait until WWDC or after?

P.S. - I've cleaned the main drive somewhat and reinstalled my OS. My warranty just expired (figures) and I have not talked to anyone in tech support. Any suggestions?

Thanks -

P.P.S. - If not...PC / NLE for sale, slightly used...make offer...

Robert Poulton May 7th, 2003 07:40 PM

Get a new OS. win2k sucks. XP is way better. I myself went from NT to XP and never had any problems. I totally avoided win2k. Maybe you just need to load up the new OS. What ISP do you have? is it AOL? Why spend more money on a computer when you got one that should work. I mean mine is older than yours and it smokes. That is at a dual 600Mhz 512 RAM and 128Mb ATI 20Gbx2 and 120Gb HD with external 120Gb Lacie firewire. Anyways whatever you do don't waste your money.

Rob:D

Chris Kraft May 7th, 2003 11:07 PM

I'll try that first. I'll load up Windows XP. This is my workstation only, no net access, games, etc...

Thanks again Robert -

Ben Nicholson May 9th, 2003 10:59 AM

Chris -

If I were you, I'd get a PowerBook & external FW drive (especially one of the new FW800 models).

But it may be worth waiting a little bit (if you can), because new PB model(s) are rumoured to be imminent (end May?)

The 15.2" model hasn't been updated in 6 months; while the 12" and 17" are cased in aluminium, the 15.2" one is still titanium; its strange that the 15" model hasn't been updated yet to match its larger and smaller siblings, so this is fuelling rumours of a major update - perhaps involving IBM's new PPC 970 chip.

If the 15" model gets updated, its likely (I think) that the others would be too. Steve Jobs did say in January that 2003 would be the Year of the Laptop..............

Regarding comparisons vs. PC+Premiere, I can't help you. Do you have a Mac retailer nearby? If so, perhaps you could go there & try out one of the Macs for yourself.

OT
I'm going to follow my own advice; I'm in the process of selling my G4 tower, with the aim of getting a new PowerBook before I move to Japan. :-)

Chris Kraft May 9th, 2003 12:43 PM

Thanks Ben -

I live in Orange County, CA and there's actually 3 Apple stores within a 30-45 minute drive from one another. I'm going to take my XL in and see if they will let me try out a PowerBook. I hope so.

I'll let you all know. Thanks again for all the help.