Thinking of turning off ABORT if dropped frames - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 18th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #46
Inner Circle

i didn't read through the thread did you figure out the problem?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #47
Major Player

I'm not sure if he did or not.

I don't have a firewire hub, but I'd be interested if something else does to see if you can use it to record and play through with 2 cameras, and capture at the same time. :)
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shepherd View Post
I'm not sure if he did or not.

I don't have a firewire hub, but I'd be interested if something else does to see if you can use it to record and play through with 2 cameras, and capture at the same time. :)
oh jeeze, he was plugging into a hub instead of going directly into the computer. lol, well thats it right there.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #49
Major Player

No, he doesn't have a firewire hub. But my suggestion was to try one, and maybe that could be used to pick the firewire stream off of, to record to a second camera while capturing.

I don't think you're reading this thread very carefully :)

Eric
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #50
Major Player

Pete: I do have a FW hub, but how critical is that. I've got every periphal you can think of in FW hubs with no issue. Is capturing the ony expection to this perfect record of stability?

thanks Again Eric; yes lets see if someone has done that:
record and play through with 2 cameras, and capture at the same time.
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #51
Major Player

Well if you have the gear, or can borrow a camera, can you try it? I think the worst that would happen is the recording camera won't see any signal. If this does work, you could make one of those cd/dvd duplication towers, but with a bunch of cheap dv camera instead :)
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Carter View Post
Pete: I do have a FW hub, but how critical is that. I've got every periphal you can think of in FW hubs with no issue. Is capturing the ony expection to this perfect record of stability?

thanks Again Eric; yes lets see if someone has done that:
record and play through with 2 cameras, and capture at the same time.
its a long thread and i have skimmed through roughly half of the posts so I might be missing something so sue me.

I'm rather good at trouble shooting problems. What I'm pointing out is if you're having problems your first step is to use a base configuration. I've found a number of devices that don't like being plugged into a hub. So its unwise to use anything in between the camera and the computer, your only adding to the complexity of the problem. You should have two 7200 internal hard drives that have contiguous free space and be capturing to the non system drive. Can you capture to an external drive sure but if your having problems, then i repeat base configuration first.

Lets take an broad view of the situation and where the problem may lie:
1. Its either a hardware or software:

Hardware:
a) Camera b)Computer c)connector cable and/or firewire hub

Software:
a)FCP b)OS

The best way to sort out this problem is start at the source, the camera. Use another camera. If another camera works then bingo its the camera. If it still does the same thing then its the computer and/or your setup.
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #53
Major Player

I agree, that's a good way to troubleshoot, but using 2 7200 rpm drives doesn't help with the troubleshooting. If you only need 3.5megs/sec to capture, you don't need even 1 7200 rpm drive. ;) I can capture to either a 4200 or 5400 rpm drive in my laptops with no problems.

I've lost track here, Kevin, are you still having problems or are we now looking for cool computer tricks? :)
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #54
Major Player

Theo, Eric, Nate, Marty:

Just re-read this thread and tried to give it another go.
This time I plugged in directly to the computer and not hub.
That did not help; still get
"dropped frames detected" after few seconds.

I then unchecked, "report dropped drames"
that did not help either, just mind blowing.

Marty:
I looked everywhere for Capture settings, can't find it. I have HD express, don't see this. I remember when I had FCP 3 an audio/video settings. But would this really help anyway? ie. going from Firewire to non controllable device? I remember being able to capture fine with FW before. There is any Easy setup, but you cannot alter it. Am I out of luck here, or just cannot find it?

And what funny it the VTR is fine and connecting good.

One thing that is strange/sad, is that on this round, I'm not even seeing the render files being created on the scrath disc like I did before. NOthing there at all.

I have decided for now to keep trying here in FCP HD express and not yet that other app suggested as for some reason that seems much more complex. Any ideas appreciated. thanks!
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #55
Major Player

I would try another app, any app that can capture (iMovie for example?). Just to see if you can get the footage into the computer.

You *may* have a bad firewire cable. I don't remember if this was covered or not. I've been awake about 21 hours now and had a full day at Disney World (hit all 4 parks!), so I'm a little bit wiped out right now. I have a 4 pin to 4 pin that may have gotten bent a little too far and damaged the conductors slightly. I was getting glitches (little digital bits of garbage) randomly when recording from the live camera direct into the laptop. When capturing the tape that was recording at the same time, there were no glitches in those spots. My camera seems to be fine, my computer seems to be.. It appears the cable is giving the dropouts.

Again, forgive me if I mentioned this before (or if someone else mentioned a cable problem), I'm a bit worn down right now. ;)

I don't know that glitches would appear the same as dropped frames or not, but possibly?

Eric
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #56
Major Player

thanks for the cable idea, very unlikely, but you never know. Don't seem to have i movie or any other app. I have a whole nother thread on other apps, and there don't seem to be any great suggestions on that.
Someone on another board offered idea of upgrading to 3.5 for FCP express so that a new idea.

(think cable is 6 pin to 4 pin)

isn't it amazing still getting this after chaning prefernce?

and what about changing to non-controllable device, dont see that option?

and where is footage that does capture, nowhere to be found
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #57
Major Player

Check the cable. I was just trying to use one here with my camera and it just does weird things. It's a simple thing to swap it with another one.

I thought iMovie was on all Macs? Or can it be reinstalled at least?

can you search for files larger than say 500 megs and track down the captured footage that way?
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #58
Major Player

dont see i movie anywhere.
why search? it should have come up in the hardrive root.

someone also has idea of reinstalling 10.4.9 as bundle whatever that means
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #59
Major Player

Well if they captured somewhere else, a search will find where they are. :)

I'm not sure about the other stuff, I don't have a Mac.

Someone else wanna chime in here?

ding?
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #60
Major Player

thanks help Eric, appreciate it, not even sure what to search for , not even sure what name it.
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite