DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Sound out of sync

Has anyone encountered this problem? Some shots, while shooting 720/25 with a 110 are out of sync, three or four frames. It never happens on the first shot of the tape but then, after every re-start of the camera sound is not in sync anymore. I would be gratefull for any info on this strange phenomenon.
We work on a G4, 1.25.
Peter Lataster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lataster View Post
Has anyone encountered this problem? Some shots, while shooting 720/25 with a 110 are out of sync, three or four frames. It never happens on the first shot of the tape but then, after every re-start of the camera sound is not in sync anymore. I would be gratefull for any info on this strange phenomenon.
We work on a G4, 1.25.
Are you sure it's the camera and not the NLE?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

This is a result of the way you captured the media. I assume you captured m2t files using HDVxDV, LumiereHD, or DVHSCap and converted with MPEG streamclip.
If this is the case it is important that you do not capture across start/stop breaks. Always start a new clip at every start/stop break or you will have sync issues.
If you capture with FCP5.1.x the clips will automatically be broken up to avoid sync issues.

If you really want to capture a whole tape in one go as one clip then you have to use a capture card or AJA ioHD style device.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Brian & Tim, for your replies. But the footage is captured with fcp 5.1.4, native hdv. We don't mind having different clips after every re-start of the camera but obviously we like to have sync sound. So it's still a mystery to us. Maybe a G4 ppc is not the right tool?
Peter Lataster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Pete

I've had this a few times importing HDV into PPro 2.... I get zero drop outs on the import, but it shows drops and audio going out of sync in the timeline....this despite me telling it to stop capture on dropped frames..

I'm just wondering if the editing software misses the long GoP drops with HDV... It shows up as an orange flash on the timeline... rather than the mosaic I'm used to in dropped frames.

I got round it on the one important clip by unlinking and manually syncing the video and audio...

Curiously when I import as DV downconverted in camera the drops don't show up...
Wierd...

Anyone else found this???

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Lataster View Post
Thanks Brian & Tim, for your replies. But the footage is captured with fcp 5.1.4, native hdv. We don't mind having different clips after every re-start of the camera but obviously we like to have sync sound. So it's still a mystery to us. Maybe a G4 ppc is not the right tool?
If it is native then it makes no sense to me why the first clip would be fine and the subsequent ones would lose sync.

Did you capture to an external hard drive that is too slow? Maybe formatted as FAT-32?

I'll move this to the FCP forum where more FCP people may have some tips.
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I've often found when the camera drops frames the audio goes out of sync. Its a pain to fix in the time line but it doesn't happen often, so you just learn to deal with it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite