DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM   #1
Major Player

XDCAM HD dv offline back to online

Admitedly I did this wrong from the start, but there were time constraints and now they are gone.

I shot a short film for the Fargo 48 film festival with a 330 in 1080 24p. Enable to get it done and turned in on time I just captured it DV out of the firewire.

Now that the compettion is over I'd like to go back and do an HD version. Right now I don't have a deck only the camera so I was going to bring the file in FAM mode. Is there a way I could match the timecode up to with the clips in my DV timeline? Should I try to use media manger for this?

The problem I introduced (and I knew this going in) was with coming in DV as I created clips with different names than the files which are 00001, 00002....

My set up is dual 2 G5 4 gigs ram kona 2 FCP 5.1.4. xserve, xraid tons of space.

Any help would be appreciated other than telling me I should have thought about it before capturing. Due to the 48 hour time restriction my machine would not have been able to handle XDCAM HD footage. That is why I downconveted to DV.

Thanks
Jeremy

Incidently if anyone wants to watch the film I made last weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44xO_OGmS1Q

I drew western for the genre
character was tony or toni west, security guard
prop was a water bottle
line of dialogue was "I can't believe you just said that"
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Jeremy,

There is a way to do what you want to do, but it's rather convoluted. It would entail bringing in and unwrapping the clips that are contained in your master sequence. Then, you would have to rename those files so that they matched your DV resolution files. You then use Media Manager to replace the low res files with the HD ones. Once you get that done, use Media Manager to trim off any unused media in the HD files.

That's the general concept, and Nate Weaver could probably explain it much better than I did. I just wanted you to know that it's possible. The key is matching the filenames between the two sets of clips because that's what Media Manager will be looking for in order to reconnect to the HD material.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Major Player

[QUOTE=Greg Boston;685071]
"There is a way to do what you want to do, but it's rather convoluted."

Yeah I figured that would be the way to do it. Since I'm not in any hurry for a HD version I think I will wait till our new install happens next month and we get a deck and the new FCP upgrade. Then I can just use media manager make media offline recapture the clips with the new pro res codec through the kona. It would save me from conflicts with file names plus test the new pro res codec.

I'm glad it was just a personal project that I was using for a learning experience other than having this issue with "real" work.

Thanks for the response.

Jeremy

Actually we're going to have a 350 here next week so maybe I'll use the HD SDI out and go through my current setup.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite