720p30 downconvert to BetaCam has 'interlace ripping' - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #16
Trustee

are you using the apple 8bit uncompressed codec ? my guess is yes and that could welll be the problem. change to the 10bit uncompressed codec and it will (should) go away. I've had numerous problems with the 8bit *apple* uncompressed codec since 5.1 came out and apple broke it. you can also try the BM 8bit codec, DV50, photojpeg, or even mjpeg.

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
are you using the apple 8bit uncompressed codec ? my guess is yes and that could welll be the problem. change to the 10bit uncompressed codec and it will (should) go away. I've had numerous problems with the 8bit *apple* uncompressed codec since 5.1 came out and apple broke it. you can also try the BM 8bit codec, DV50, photojpeg, or even mjpeg.

Steve Oakley
I am using a Kona LH board with reatime down conversion, with the AJA KONA LH- NTSC 10 Bit Uncompressed codec selected. I don't know if or how this is different from Apple 10 bit. Might just be selecting hardware acceleration.

I've been working with BetaCam and BetaCamSP almost 25 years and I still do a lot of BetaSP production. Usually uncompressed 10 bit component in / uncompressed 10 bit component out.

Outputting 8 bit uncompressed component from a BetaSP/D1 sequence looks a bit softer, but doesn't produce the jaggies/mouse teeth mess I am getting with this 720p30 to BetaSP downconvert.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #18
Major Player

I don't know, it was on a companies computer that I don't work for anymore.

Sorry.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Strother View Post
I am using a Kona LH board with reatime down conversion, with the AJA KONA LH- NTSC 10 Bit Uncompressed codec selected. I don't know if or how this is different from Apple 10 bit. Might just be selecting hardware acceleration.

Outputting 8 bit uncompressed component from a BetaSP/D1 sequence looks a bit softer, but doesn't produce the jaggies/mouse teeth mess I am getting with this 720p30 to BetaSP downconvert.
you mean you have a HDV TL and have the NTSC 10bit codec set ?

you should have a HDV 720P30 TL setting - yes ? in the HDV TL the kona should be set to PB at 525 YUV 29.97 for auto downconverion. if this is what you have and it sounds like it, all should be good. if not, then there is most likely where the problem lies, I've sometimes seen odd interlacing like you've seen, then it goes away.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
you mean you have a HDV TL and have the NTSC 10bit codec set ?

you should have a HDV 720P30 TL setting - yes ? in the HDV TL the kona should be set to PB at 525 YUV 29.97 for auto downconverion. if this is what you have and it sounds like it, all should be good. if not, then there is most likely where the problem lies, I've sometimes seen odd interlacing like you've seen, then it goes away.
Yes, that is how the Kona playback is setup. Their names are just longer to say the same thing. Support said the settings were correct. I'm still waiting for the part where the wierd interlace "goes".
George Strother is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite