Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

mp3 in AIC 1080 50i timeline

Hey guys,

I've searched and searched the posts on here and although I've found several possible solutions none of them are working.

I've shot a music promo HDV on the Z1. I've taken it in as AIC and am therefore cutting in an AIC 1080 50i timeline. (I digitized as AIC to experiment - last promo was cut as HDV, this time trying the alternatives)

The band have emailed me the track as an mp3. I've tried various workflows - simply rendering the mp3 (obviously wrong, but had to tick the box to say I tried), converting it to an AIFF using quicktime conversion, converting to a wav using the same, and burning to a DVD to take advantage of the automatic AIFF convert and re-import it. I've also adjusted all timeline audio settings to correspond to the properties of said AIFF (44.1khz 16bit).

After 2 hours of experimenting I'm still getting horrible distortion on playback with every one of the above options.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the AIC timeline, because I've never experienced this problem with an mp3 conversion before.

Any suggestions very, very much appreciated.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Major Player

So, you know FCP doesn't play well with MP3. It has to be AIFF. Whatever version you shot in ... I don't work in HDV, but in the SP DV world it would be 12 Bit or 16 ... whatever matches your timeline and/or what you shot it.

44K is CD audio ... you want 48 K (16 bit) or 32 K (12 bit). Again, I don't work in HDV so I don't know it it has another flavour of audio ... I'd assume that once you captured to AIC it would convert the camera audio .. your music clip must match that
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Can't really help except to say perhaps you should have captured as HDV...

I am cutting a HDV music video as we speak with a mp3 on the timeline and it seems to work fine. (Had to render the MP3 in the timeline when we brought it in, but since doing that it all playsback fine.)
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Marco,

Did you convert the mp3 to aiff using the standalone quicktime app or within FCP.

Does the video time line show as grey or green (You should have no problems playing AIC with mac within FCP, have you made sure your time line is in AIC)

Does the aiff clip play fine with the video track removed.

Have you checked your FCP playback settings (Dynamic) ect.

Have you checked under 'User Preferences' - Audio Playback Quality.

James
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks everybody

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your responses.

Maybe if I break things down you'll see where I'm going wrong.

PICTURES: Shot Z1 HDV - digitized as AIC and timeline presets to AIC 1080 50i.

AUDIO: The track was emailed to me as an mp3. Once imported into FCP I've looked at the properties and found that this mp3 (untouched apart from the import) is 44.1khz / 32-bit floating point. I've tried altering the timeline settings to match this, then dropping the mp3 in and rendering. Awful.

If I burn an audio cd of this mp3 from iTunes - and then reimport this audio track from the cd to FCP, I get a 44.1khz / 16-bit AIFF track. Also awful no matter how I try to alter the timeline settings to match.

If I try altering timeline settings to 48khz etc and forcing any of my audio conversion to render to this, the results are still terrible. Likewise, if I use the options to export an AIFF / wav using quictime conversion, 48khz is not an option offered to me.

If I could still edit with the distortion I have I'd go ahead - we'll be using protools to mix the audio and reimporting a bounce anyway - but the distortion is such that the track slows and speeds up at random intervals on playback, making it impossible to cut accurately to.

(NB - James, I converted via FCP, not standalone quicktime)
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

My voice-over talent sents always mp3's by mail. I open those in QuickTime 7 (Pro-version) and export them to aiff 16 bit - 48 Khz. I drop the resulting .aif on the timeline, no rendering required.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes as Klaas says, use quicktime standalone app for conversion.

If you use FCP to convert the MP3 to AIFF then you will run into trouble sometimes.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

grrrrr

Hey guys,

I've just done a stand alone quicktime conversion from mp3 to 48hrz 16 bit.

Distorted as hell and unusable. I've triple checked all the timeline settings as well.

This has never been a problem before...
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi, Marco

Send me the file in my public folder on my idisk 'jamesfilm@mac.com'

I will have a look for you :-)

James
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks James

Thanks for the offer James....but I've currently moved from home to the office where I am using radio edit software to convert the mp3 to a 48khz, 16 bit pcm wav file.

I've never had a problem with these in FCP - might be a way around a dodgy mp3.

I'll certainly let you know if this route fails too...in fact, if you're in Sussex you might here my screams from Sheffield.
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Problem solved

...although its a weird one.

After much (much!) experimenting, I've worked out that for whatever reason my AIC timelines do not like audio that is not directly associated with pictures.

In the end, I've had to convert my MP3 into an AIFF and drop it into a DV timeline. Works perfectly. Then I've made a quicktime movie of this - exporting as AIC1080 50i - with audio and video (just black).

Then I've imported this quicktime movie into the AIC timeline and the audio plays back perfectly.

However, once dropped into the AIC timeline, if you delete the video track (which is of course just black) the audio distorts on playback again. In fact, if you even remove one second of the black video from any point of the timeline the audio associated with that one second will distort.

So basically I'm now cutting in my AIC timeline with an extra video track of black on the bottom rung to keep the audio happy. Very weird.

Since my end goal is to bring the AIC edit into a DV timeline to render anyway all will be ok - the current audio has suffered a bit from all the tinkering but before I encode to mpeg2 from said DV timeline I can just reimport a less adulterated version of the audio.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite