DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD Capture

My mac is a 4x2.5 GHz PowerPC G5, running FCP 5.1.4. I have Sequence Preset set to HDV-1080i60, Capture Preset set to HDV, Device Control Preset set to HDV FireWire Basic, but Final Cut Pro still isn't recognizing the HDV tape in camcorder (sony HVR-A1U) (connected by firewire) for capture! Anybody have a suggestion?
Cindy
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Major Player

On Earth,,,, How do i dump a HD200 footage 720p50 2.66 Quad Xeon 3GB etc etc. confuseddd
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Cindy, try setting your firewire control device to Sony HDV. I know FCP will work with the HVR-V1U ,thats what Im shooting with. As long as you have all the online upgrades you should be fine
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankim Jain View Post
On Earth,,,, How do i dump a HD200 footage 720p50 2.66 Quad Xeon 3GB etc etc. confuseddd
Use the AIC 720p30 easy setup. After you have selected the preset make sure to change the frame rate to 60 (59.94).

Then digitize via firewire.

You won't have timecode until Apple supports HDV 720p60 (720p50 in your case).

Or get a Black Magic or AJA card.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Konits View Post
My mac is a 4x2.5 GHz PowerPC G5, running FCP 5.1.4. I have Sequence Preset set to HDV-1080i60, Capture Preset set to HDV, Device Control Preset set to HDV FireWire Basic, but Final Cut Pro still isn't recognizing the HDV tape in camcorder (sony HVR-A1U) (connected by firewire) for capture! Anybody have a suggestion?
Cindy
Hopefully you've got this sorted by now but if not check the menu settings on the camera itself. I believe you need to switch it between DV playback and HDV playback (at last you do on the Z1P). And make sure that it's also not down converting the HDV to DV (another setting).

Could be something else of course, but it's something fairly easy to overlook.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cash View Post
Cindy, try setting your firewire control device to Sony HDV. I know FCP will work with the HVR-V1U ,thats what Im shooting with. As long as you have all the online upgrades you should be fine
John,
Thank you, and others who have posted responses about this very much...I changed firewire control device to Sony HDV...and I'm very embarrassed about this, but I realize the camera hasn't been connected to the computer by firewire, but by USB instead. And I can't find a firewire cord that will fit in the camera's HDV/DV input for this! Should it have come with the camera? (please don't laugh!!)
Cindy
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #7
Trustee

Sometimes manufacturers include cables, other times not.

Firewire (iEEE 1394) cables come in two termination types. Six pin and four pin. Computers all want to see 6 pin. Most camcorders and decks use 4 pin. So you probably need a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable. Radio shack, Best Buy and a lot of other general computer/electronics vendors sell them.

The newest and fastest implementation is Firewire 800 - not very common on equipment and cameras yet - you likely don't want that.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks so much! I got the cable and finally I can digitize.
Cindy
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite