DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP Problem...please help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/95867-fcp-problem-please-help.html)

Jon Springer June 5th, 2007 06:09 PM

FCP Problem...please help

I am trying to export a Quicktime file from the timeline...the export freezes at 79% consistantly. I have tried different Quicktime settings, different target drives, etc and nothing seems to solve the problem. Is this a FCP problem or a Mac problem?

Justin Ferar June 5th, 2007 06:54 PM

Have you tried checking "self contained" yet?

Waldemar Winkler June 6th, 2007 03:00 PM

I would guess you have something fundamentally wrong with the video clip that is close to the 79% mark of your export. I don't think self-coantained would make any difference.
First thing I would do is repair permissions on your mac. Whether that helps or not is open to question, but it is a great fix to general mac operating issues and often clears up many problems.
To repair permissions, restart your computer with the SHIFT key down. Continue to hold the key down until you get the administrator log-in window, then release. Log in as administrator.
When the desktop appears, GO>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities (not iDisk Utilities).
When the Disk Utility window opens, select your HARD Drive and then click on "Repair Permissions". Forget "Verify Permissions". You already know you have a problem, no need to be told again. By the way, do this once a week religioously.

When Repair Permissions is done, restart your computer normally.

Launch FCP, then select a few minutes around the 79% area of your time line. Copy and paste into a new sequence, then export that sequence as a Quicktime reference Movie. If you get the same problem, re-import the video containing the problem clips.

Jonathan Jones June 6th, 2007 03:18 PM

Is the clip in question properly rendered?
-Jon

Nick Royer June 6th, 2007 03:53 PM

You may want to try re-installing the Final Cut Studio. You should do this about once every 3-6 months to minimize errors. In fact, I'm reinstalling it right now.

Jon Springer June 6th, 2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones (Post 692941)
Is the clip in question properly rendered?
-Jon

Yes...the clip is rendered. I have tried to export with several different projects and timelines, so it is not a problem with any particular sequence. It always seizes the computer at 79%.

Jon Springer June 6th, 2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler (Post 692930)
I would guess you have something fundamentally wrong with the video clip that is close to the 79% mark of your export. .

It does the same time with other clips/sequences...always at 79%.

Gene Brockhoff June 6th, 2007 06:20 PM

Very odd. First, set an "out" point halfway in the timeline and export. If it still does it then I bet you need a "pref freshener" http://fcprescue.andersholck.com/
I don't understand "re-installing" What if the first install is perfect, and you re-install because you think it's better, and the second re-install is screwy?

Jon Springer June 7th, 2007 08:48 AM

Quicktime experts???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Springer (Post 692467)
I am trying to export a Quicktime file from the timeline...the export freezes at 79% consistantly. I have tried different Quicktime settings, different target drives, etc and nothing seems to solve the problem. Is this a FCP problem or a Mac problem?

The problem seems to only happen when I use "Quicktime Conversion" on "Default Settings." It will start rendering and then all of a sudden leap up to 79% and freeze. I've trying changing settings in the default settings but the same thing happens. I can make a web compressed quicktime with no problem.

Any Quicktime experts out there? I have version 7.1.3 and I am running FCP 4.

Jon Springer June 7th, 2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ferar (Post 692478)
Have you tried checking "self contained" yet?

I don't see any option for "self-contained." Where is this located?

Jon Springer June 7th, 2007 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Springer (Post 693327)
The problem seems to only happen when I use "Quicktime Conversion" on "Default Settings." It will start rendering and then all of a sudden leap up to 79% and freeze. I've trying changing settings in the default settings but the same thing happens. I can make a web compressed quicktime with no problem.

Any Quicktime experts out there? I have version 7.1.3 and I am running FCP 4.

Okay...I unchecked "prepare for internet streaming" and now it goes up to 100% and freezes. Um....

Jon Springer June 7th, 2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Springer (Post 693330)
Okay...I unchecked "prepare for internet streaming" and now it goes up to 100% and freezes. Um....

I figured it out...the sample rate must be the same as the timeline or it freezes. I changed it to 48kHz. Thanks all.

Waldemar Winkler June 8th, 2007 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Springer (Post 693336)
I figured it out...the sample rate must be the same as the timeline or it freezes. I changed it to 48kHz. Thanks all.

Oh. That was the last thing I would have considered. By the way, you will always get the very best quality and a faster export if you choose the top option, QuickTime movie. It might we worth your while to visit http://www.lynda.com and study the Final Cut online lectures by Larry Jordan. The entry level cost is very reasonable ($25.00/month), and you can cancel at any time.