Problem with 1080i HDV to DVD (field issue) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #1
New Boot

Problem with 1080i HDV to DVD (field issue)

I need a work around for the field issue apparent when down-converting HDV to DVD.

The Bonsai method <http://www3.telus.net/bonsai/Welcome.html> will not work, as there is too much motion and a side effect of the "fastest" conversion is that it gives a 3-d ghosting effect on fast motion in the frame.

I can not convert to 720P60 or 480P, as FCP converts it to 30P and then doubles the frames, and the motion is jittery.

I could dump it to camera and then down-convert in camera, but I have heard this is not a great method either.

I have seen in another thread to save the HDV timeline in FCP as a HDV quicktime movie, and then import that into DVD studio pro and have it down-convert, but DVD studio pro says this is an "incompatible file".

How do I get 1080i HDV footage onto a DVD so that it looks acceptable?
Camron Settlemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Major Player

The best de-interlacing technique is to "interpret footage" in after effects.
Make your comp, import your video, in the project window control-click on the movie select interpret-main. In that window choose UPPER field from the drop down menu ("off" does nothing) also in the drop down menu below choose your footage type: HDV.

Alternatively H264 does a good job of deinterlacing (when checked) most of the time.

This has solved my horizontal line problems.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #3
New Boot

needs to stay interlaced

The problem with de-interlacing is that the end product needs to be 60i, otherwise the motion will be jittery. Can after effects take each i field and create a SD P frame from it?
Camron Settlemier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite