DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 14th, 2003, 01:57 AM   #1
New Boot

field flicker?

hi,
I encountered a strange thing in one of my dv-projects. When capturing a certain sequence of dv-tape into fcp the result is a flickering move. It looks to me like a field-dominace problem, but settings in timeline or item properties take no effect.
The input is from dv-tape. When I play it directly to a pal monitor it plays smoothly.
Han Savelkoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 05:50 AM   #2
Warden

If it only appears on the timeline and not the program monitor then I wouldn't worry. FCP does not display at full resolution and artifacts may appear. However, if the artifacts appear after recording the timeline output to tape then you may have a problem. If the artifacts persist, post complete details on your hardware, software and versions being used.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:05 AM   #3
New Boot

When I burn a dvd from this project, the flickering shows on tv-screen. So I think there is a problem.
details: I have been using both a G4-cube 400 mhz and a G4 dual 867. The tape was shot with a sony dv-camera. capturing took place with this camera and later on with a canon xl1s. I'm using FCP 2.0.
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #4
Warden

If the timeline is recorded to tape or displayed on a PAL monitor does it flicker? The flicker could be a result of the encoding to MPEG-2. You need to determine where the flicker is induced. Was it recorded that way, result of capture, induced by FCP etc. The different variables need to be eliminated.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:39 AM   #5
New Boot

I'll try these options. Let you know what comes out
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I had a problem like this

Han

I may be off the mark here, but have you checked the sequence properties as well?

Try creating a new sequence and while it is blank set the SEQUENCE property field dominance to NONE. Then insert just your wobbly clip and see what result you get.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:05 AM   #7
New Boot

Re: I had a problem like this

Well. that's interesting. I'd never thought of this option, but it works. The new sequence with the field dominance set to none doesn't show the flicker when I play it on a pal-monitor. I only have to try compreesing for dvd, see if it will play smooth aswell..
Thanks!
Han Savelkoel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite