DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Mac Pro or Macbook Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/96249-mac-pro-macbook-pro.html)

Carolyn McGrath June 10th, 2007 03:18 PM

Mac Pro or Macbook Pro?

I recently was fortunate enough to win a $5000 grant which I will be using towards a much needed upgrade of my computer hardware and software.

Originally, I was planning on purchasing the Mac Pro desktop with FCP. However, I will be spending much of this summer away from home, doing interviews and editing. And now I am wondering if the Macbook Pro laptop (with FCP) might be a better choice. The tradeoff--if I am correct--is that while the laptop is more portable, it is not as expandable.

Right now I am using a Canon GL1 an plan to continue using it throughout the summer. At some point in the next year or two I will probably save up enough for a HDV camera, so I will need a system that can handle that as well. (From what I understand, both can, but the desktop does so better).

Sorry if this question is basic. I'm just looking for some feedback.

(Also, if this is relevant: I am a video artist, not a filmmaker, so this is not my profession and I don't expect to make an income from what I create).

Michael Horton June 10th, 2007 04:07 PM

A MacBook Pro is just fine for what you do and probably a better solution if you travel a lot. And it is expandable in as so much you can attach an external Sata Raid to it if you find yourself playing with lots of video or large pictures. It certainly will handle your GL1 just dandy. A Mac Pro sounds like overkill for what you want.

Jules Ruez June 10th, 2007 05:25 PM

Post content which condones illegal, dishonest activity has been removed by Admin.

Michael Horton June 10th, 2007 09:00 PM

Jules

You are advocating something that is illegal and in violation of the EULA. Unless you are enrolled in an accredited school, you are not eligible for an educational discount. End of story.

Nate Benson June 10th, 2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Horton (Post 695028)
Jules

You are advocating something that is illegal and in violation of the EULA. Unless you are enrolled in an accredited school, you are not eligible for an educational discount. End of story.

I'll have to agree there. One way I've heard that apple gets you is if you buy it online with the discount and later take it in to get serviced they ask for your student ID when you go to drop it of or pick it up, I heard one horror story from a kid at school that they thought his ID was a fake so they wouldn't give it back to him until they investigated it.

the education discount is great and I hate to hear people abusing it, but it unfortunately happens

Carolyn McGrath June 11th, 2007 03:41 AM

Actually, I am a teacher (honestly), so I do get the educator discount.

Kalunga Lima June 11th, 2007 03:52 AM

Final Cut Express

You may want to consider getting Final Cut Express as opposed to Final Cut Studio 2, you will find that it will probably cover all your editing needs and save you considerable money. Another option is to buy a used official version of FCP such as 4.5 HD or even 5.

I also think that the 20" iMac is quite a nice semi-portable solution. In fact, I believe someone even makes a carry-on bag for it.

Best of luck

Michael Horton June 11th, 2007 02:19 PM

As a teacher you are entitled to the EDU discount. Its a great deal and one you should take advantage of. However, once you leave school you cant upgrade your EDU version.

Carolyn McGrath June 11th, 2007 05:41 PM

and...

can the MacBook Pro handle HDV? (which i intend to convert to in the future?)

thanks again

Michael Horton June 11th, 2007 05:54 PM

Sure. HDV, no problem.

Matt Hagest June 13th, 2007 03:37 PM

I have FCS2, a mbp with 2gig of ram, C2d processor and i edit HDV it works great!!! plus i play BF2! i love macs!

Dave Lammey June 13th, 2007 04:55 PM

I have a first generation MBP (a 17inch 2.16GHz Core Duo), and since I bought it last year Apple has come out with a MBP that has a faster processor, Core 2 Duo. So my MBP isn't as fast as what is currently available. I find that when editing HDV, the renders are on the slow side, but the exporting to mpeg2 (for a DVD) is VERY slow, around 15 times real-time.

Other than that I love the MBP. Perhaps the new MBPs are significantly faster. But if speed of rendering/exporting worries you I would strongly consider the Mac Pro.