SoundTrack Pro & Garageband Loop Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SoundTrack Pro & Garageband Loop Question

Just checking, but it is ok, right, to use SoundTrack Pro & Garageband loops in films without having to license them?

best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, you have the rights to those loops .... or so I understand. I do it all the time
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Major Player

How would we fill out a release form for songs made in these programs? Would we even have to?
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't think that's necessary. The soundtrack is part of the other creative properties of your video that you own. It would be the same as the video you shoot and, the titles in the video etc. Think of it like the templates that come with a DVD authoring program or a NLE ...you have the rights to use those in a commercial production. Its all part of the licensing agreement when you bought the software
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Whats really funny about Soundtrack is how many commercial companies actually use it in their regional and national adds. I'll be doing something else with the TV on and hear a familiar loop and be like "hey wait a minute."
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Wrangler

From the GarageBand license:

Quote:
You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (“Audio Content”), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual samples, sound sets, or audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound libraries, sound effects or music beds.
From the Soundtrack Pro license:

Quote:
You may use the Apple and third party audio file content (including, but not limited to, the built-in sound files, samples and impulse responses) (collectively the "Audio Content"), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your film, video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio files may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound files or music beds.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks much for the info!

Here's a little flick I made with Garageband music.

http://elmerlang.com/LBL.html

Any help with a couple problems would be appreciated.

Audio:
No matter what I do when compressing for web, the audio still grumbles and pops a bit more than I like. I tried lowering the overall volume, exporting as 44.1kHz, 48kHz, arg. PS: The Zoom H4 has pretty decent sound but can't say I'm completely satisfied.

Video:
Using HV20, 60i, IAF, self-shooting, swinging the prop in an arc: no matter how slow I swing it it won't stay in focus.

thanks again,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Benson View Post
Whats really funny about Soundtrack is how many commercial companies actually use it in their regional and national adds. I'll be doing something else with the TV on and hear a familiar loop and be like "hey wait a minute."
Yup, same here. It's funny how many people gravitate towards the same loops.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Yup, same here. It's funny how many people gravitate towards the same loops.

-gb-
You're absolutely right. Though maybe like with Shakespeare and all his tired old recycled plots, it's not who uses the materials, it's who uses them best.
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite